Wireless streaming from Macbook Pro to HDTV

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a new Macbook Pro, and I would like to stream movies wireless from it to my HDTV. Looking into Apple TV it doesn't seem to do the job since (as I understand) it only goes via iTunes while I want a device that will mirror my notebook's screen as it is on my HDTV. Any suggestion for a decent product would be truly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
I have a new Macbook Pro, and I would like to stream movies wireless from it to my HDTV. Looking into Apple TV it doesn't seem to do the job since (as I understand) it only goes via iTunes while I want a device that will mirror my notebook's screen as it is on my HDTV. Any suggestion for a decent product would be truly appreciated.

Hi,
I thought iOS on iPad 2 mirrors output over Airplay via ATV. My daughter streams Video stuff off her iPad onto my HDTV using it.
Apple - Apple TV - AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

I believe that Airplay Mirroring will be a standard feature of Mountain Lion (10.8) if you can wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Macbook Pro can be mirrored when it is hard-wire connected to the TV.

Reaction score
To answer your first question regarding streaming videos wirelessly from your Macbook Pro to your HDTV- it is possible to do it with AppleTV and not have to go through iTunes. There's an app called Air Video that I use on both my iPhone and MBA. Once I select the folders that contains my media I can bring up the app on my iPhone and select the video I want. One of the best features is that it live converts AVI files that can then be displayed on your Apple TV connected HDTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To answer your first question regarding streaming videos wirelessly from your Macbook Pro to your HDTV- it is possible to do it with AppleTV and not have to go through iTunes. There's an app called Air Video that I use on both my iPhone and MBA. Once I select the folders that contains my media I can bring up the app on my iPhone and select the video I want. One of the best features is that it live converts AVI files that can then be displayed on your Apple TV connected HDTV.

Thank you, I didn't know that and will try t out.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks, sounds like a good option. Is it possible to use this app for mirroring the macbook pro screen as it is on the HDTV rather than watching specific files (basically for using the HDTV as a second wireless screen for my macbook pro)?

Reaction score
Thanks, sounds like a good option. Is it possible to use this app for mirroring the macbook pro screen as it is on the HDTV rather than watching specific files (basically for using the HDTV as a second wireless screen for my macbook pro)?

I don't think so. Mirroring through Apple TV only works for iOS devices.

Reaction score
Hello,

I am also looking into doing the same without having to connect with cables to my TV. I did however discover an app or program called "AirParrot" that will mirror your MBP to your HDTV in good quality. It costs $9.99 but you can try it free from their website before deciding to buy it. You'll need Apple TV to use it though. You can find reviews of the program online and videos on youtube. Hope this helps!

Also from what I understand, Mac mirroring will be available with the new Mac OS this summer so I may just wait till then to buy Apple TV. It is cheaper to buy this program then having to buy cables to connect to your TV so it seems like a good bet and no upgrading or waiting for the new OS to be able to mirror your Mac.

Good luck and let me know what u decide to do or how the program works out if u decide to try it :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.