iBook G4 1.2Ghz display problems

C

camelian

Hi all,
I recently acquired a used G4 iBook for use in college only to have it start dying on me recently. To keep it short, I'm experiencing what seems to be the logic board failure symptoms that many have discussed on this form. In the middle of using the laptop, the screen will go blank (LCD is still on, the apple logo lit, but no signal even through external monitor). Just before going blank there might be some color scribbles that pop up. I am forced to hard shut it down and reboot. The symptoms started a few days ago and are occuring at increasingly faster rates now.
*edit* just now as I popped the keyboard back in place, the LCD turned off (it was on but blank before).

From what I've read/heard, logic board failure doesn't occur on 1ghz+ iBook G4s. My S/N also does not fall within the Apple Repair program constraints. Does it sound like a logic board failiure?

This is very frustrating as I just went through a Vaio just before this and I haven't even had my iBook for a month yet. (I don't mistreat my laptops)

Any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated!

Jesse

OP
C

camelian

I forgot to add that when I booted up, just before it died, a message came up saying something to the extent of 'Your time and date is set to one before March 24, 2001, some programs may not run right.' I found that very awkward as I have not touched the time/date

Reaction score
If you time is getting off you may want to try replacing the battery on the logic board. I don't know why that would cause the other problems but maybe it could.

OP
C

camelian

^^how do I go about doing that? sorry i haven't had much experience with laptops/macs

OP
D

DigitalN.

To reset the PRAM, hold Apple-Option-P-R simultaneously at the Apple logo.

To reset the PMU, hold down “Shift-Control-Option-Power “.

taken from the sticky :)

OP
C

camelian

Hm, it still doesn't seem to be working. Now it only lasts ~5 minutes and always flashes an array of random colors before going blank. I'm still inclined to think it's the logic board but don't understand why it would fail on a newer model. I might try replacing the battery like 'mynameis' suggested

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.