Problems printing with Adobe Reader from new iMac

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

To begin with I am a new iMac user and I have to say I have been floundering while learning things since I switched from my PC. So, please bear with me in that I ask that any answers be as specific as possible since I still don't know my new machine very well.

Here's my problem: I am a realtor and we use a MLS website that also includes our forms. I can easily access my forms and complete as needed. However, once they printed to my main (default and preferred wireless) printer, all my lines were crunched together resulting in several big blobs of black printed lines. I contacted our local MLS and they told me the problem was the iMac Preview and I needed to download the Adobe Reader. I did that but still didn't know what I was doing, so I contacted support at Apple. They assisted me in changing the document from Preview to Adobe, and made sure all my documents will do that from now on. However, now I cannot get the document to print on my default printer (which is, by the way a Toshiba e-studio 4520C). I can print a word document on that printer, but I cannot seem to print something using Adobe. Apple says it is not my machine (which is a Lion), and when I try and reach Adobe, I am told I will have to pay.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am really floundering here, but am determined to find answers. Thank you for viewing this and in advance, thanks for your input and help!

Reaction score
When you click File > Print from Adobe Reader, what options appear in the resulting box? Do you see your printer listed there?

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, my printer shows up and I get a quick image of my printer on the Dock, which then disappears. However, nothing prints. Again, this just seems to be with Adobe docs and it will print a Word doc. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
I had a similar problem using an HP printer from Snow Leopard.

The solution I found was as follows:

Click 'Print' in the Adobe window. Then click 'Advanced' in the print control window.

Then check 'Print as Image' in the window that opens. Click 'Ok'

Click 'Print' and it should work.

OP
L
Reaction score
Larry, I had a chance to go to my office and try printing the document as an image. It did not print. Looks like I am back to square one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Preview should have been able to print those forms correctly. I use Preview for many pre-printed PDF forms and have no problem printing them both on a HP LaserJet and Canon all in one color printer.

I think the reason you're having difficulty printing those forms could be the way the printer is setup or driver related. The first thing to do is go to the Toshiba site and see if updated drivers for OS X Lion are available. Next, break out the manual for the Toshiba and see if you have it setup correctly.

OP
L
Reaction score
Well, I figured out the problem has to be with our realtor MLS website. I decided to email the document to myself which then allowed me to open it and print it normally. Yeah! However, that does not solve the initial problem, but at least I found a way to work around it in the interim.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.