30 inch Cinema Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi Mr. Moderator . . . Please move this thread to the Apple Hardware (or appropriate) forum. I just noticed this one is devoted to "i-Stuff" and I don't want to cross post.

Hi All. I have had my Mac Mini for almost 1.5 years. Last night I was adding an external HDD for Time machine and it struck me that I had all kinds of cabling (two or three) required to connect the Mac Mini to the display. The Mini has an HDMI port, but the Cinema Display doesn't. Why are all the different cables needed? Why wouldn't it be as simple as having an HDMI port on the Cinema Display and connecting to directly to the Mini? Am I getting the highest quality signal with all these conections and cables? Is there a way to "straight wire" the Mini to the Cinema Display? Any help, ideas, and input are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Cinema Display only uses one of those cables (the DVI cable) for the video signal. The others are for passthrough of the USB and Firewire ports. And power, of course. The 30" Cinema Display doesn't have an HDMI port.

According to EveryMac.com, your Mac mini supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 over DVI or HDMI. It will support 2560x1600 using the Mini DisplayPort.

If you do indeed have a 30" Cinema Display, which is no longer sold, it appears that the optimal resolution would be 2560x1600. Since your Mac mini cannot output that resolution over DVI, and the monitor does not have a Mini DisplayPort to use, then currently you are NOT getting the optimal resolution.

What should help you get the optimal resolution would be this adapter:
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Since your Mac mini will be outputting over the MiniDP using this adapter, you should be able to use the full 2560x1600 resolution that is optimal for your display.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thank you for your reply. I had the extra cable and I am now at maximum resolution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.