OS bootdisk failure

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had a problem a while back that is still unsolved. In a friends macbook, while starting up it was demanded that she insert the bootdisk due to some software failure, my guess is that some file was deleted unintentionally. But the problem is that the macbook did not recognize de disk when it was inserted. Meanwhile the Macbook was sent for waranty due to some plastic cracks on the chassis and they unjammed the disk in the drive.

My question is, should i try to insert de bootdisk and see if it recognizes this time or should i use some other option to reinstall the software?
If i reinsert the disk and it jamms again, is it absolute sure that the dvd will be ejected while using the proper key combination?

I was thinking about the alternative of trying to boot the software using some other device like a usb pen or a external hdd.

Can someone please help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the drive is defective and refuses to eject a disk, you don't want to insert a disk to test it. However, if the disk was the problem it could hang up again. It probably would be a better idea to use a flash drive or an external hard drive. At least until you can verify if the optical drive is OK.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. My only fear is that i cant get to choose a boot option before i reach the menu that asks for the disk. I don't know if i'll have other option other than use the boot disk. I think the optical drive isn't defective because the laptop is 2 years and a few months... The purpose of this thread is to explore my options before recurring to the disk. I'm a bit scared of using the disk due to what have happened of course. :/

By the way, is there a good program to create a boot pen?
Thank you so much again.

Other ideas anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.