iMac won't power up

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first thread so please be kind to a relative newcomer to the world of Mac.

I have a white 20in. I-sight, apparently the first of the intel dual processor breed. For some time it has had the 'won't always power up' fault that seems to be quite common.

Keeping it plugged in and the mains supply turned on after shutting down seemed to 'cure' the problem. Only things like turning the brightness up or taking a photo would cause it to turn itself off. Once it had turned itself off, unplugging it from the mains and leaving it over night would solve the problem. Shorting out the live and neutral pins of the mains plug seemed to speed up the 'repair' but I can't be certain of this.

Now it won't power up at all. It simply stopped whilst playing some music. I have had it apart, checked the power supply (614-0363) and it has two 12v outputs. I have put the supply back into the machine, but with the output plug disconnected from the rest of the machine, again the two 12v supplies are there-as soon as the mains is turned on but I can find no help on the Internet concerning the last of the 5 pins. Is it a low voltage input to the supply which is needed to turn it on? Finally I have replaced the internal battery in a forlorn hope that would help, but no joy.

I hope this is enough/not too much information for someone out there to help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.