How to correctly reinstall Lion?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I bought a late 2011 macbook pro 13", the simplest model, about 3 months ago.

Lion is running considerably slower than it was when I bought it. I don't know if I have been adding too much stuff, or what.

So I want to reinstall everything from scratch.

The thing is, I don't have the lion image. How can I download it? Also, my macbook was bought for me in Japan by a friend, and he entered a random credential on App Store - he doesn't remember the login, password and email. Will this be a problem?

THanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
A random credential? Seriously? In other words, he stole it using someone else's account?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The thing is, I don't have the lion image. How can I download it? Also, my macbook was bought for me in Japan by a friend, and he entered a random credential on App Store - he doesn't remember the login, password and email. Will this be a problem?

Yes, it will be a problem. Without a valid Apple ID you will be unable to access the App store to make any purchases. It's probably best to create your own Apple ID and password with Apple and purchase Lion for $29.99. Then, you'll have your own copy and can re-download anytime later on for free.

In the meantime, why do you think you have to reinstall Lion? Mac OS X is not Windows where it has to be reinstalled many times. Rarely if ever, should you have to reinstall.

OP
M
Reaction score
A random credential? Seriously? In other words, he stole it using someone else's account?

Yes, unfotunately he never used any macs before (neither had I), and since he bought it in Japan, I told him to test it before bringing it here to Brazil - when prompted about the apple id, I told him to just create some email and insert anything there, because I would reformat everything anyway (I'm used to Windows notebooks, with loads of bloatware, so I thought it would be necessary).

I thought that the Apple Id was like a Login account, easily replaceable if necessary.

I wish it was stolen, I would save a lot of cash! Just kidding! ;)

Yes, it will be a problem. Without a valid Apple ID you will be unable to access the App store to make any purchases. It's probably best to create your own Apple ID and password with Apple and purchase Lion for $29.99. Then, you'll have your own copy and can re-download anytime later on for free.

In the meantime, why do you think you have to reinstall Lion? Mac OS X is not Windows where it has to be reinstalled many times. Rarely if ever, should you have to reinstall.

I'm using my own Apple ID, that I had on my iPhone and iPad. Guess I'll have to repurchase not only Lion, but iLife as well.

I was going to reinstall Lion because it was quite slow, but I did that "repair permissions" thing, and now it seems that a clean install won't be necessary. Perhaps I should buy a SSD drive too!

Thanks for the answers guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Yes, unfotunately he never used any macs before (neither had I), and since he bought it in Japan, I told him to test it before bringing it here to Brazil - when prompted about the apple id, I told him to just create some email and insert anything there, because I would reformat everything anyway (I'm used to Windows notebooks, with loads of bloatware, so I thought it would be necessary).

I thought that the Apple Id was like a Login account, easily replaceable if necessary.

I wish it was stolen, I would save a lot of cash! Just kidding! ;)

I'm using my own Apple ID, that I had on my iPhone and iPad. Guess I'll have to repurchase not only Lion, but iLife as well.

I was going to reinstall Lion because it was quite slow, but I did that "repair permissions" thing, and now it seems that a clean install won't be necessary. Perhaps I should buy a SSD drive too!

Thanks for the answers guys!
if you are not in a rush to get the lion, wail till sept or so get the Mountain lion which will save you some dough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.