how to change computer name?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm on my daughter's iMac running OS X 10.7.3. When she bought this computer she had the Apple store set it up and they named the computer with her own name - but they misspelled it! Is there any way to change the computer's name without totally sending it back to its default settings?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin H.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
If you mean the User Account name, go to System Preferences, click on Users & Groups. From there, you should see a box with 'Full Name:' titling it. You can then rename it there.

If you want to change the name of the computer as it appears to other people on a network etc., go System Preferences > Sharing. At the top you should see a box named 'Computer Name'.

For future knowledge, all it took to get this info was two quick Google's: "change user name osx 10.7" and "change computer name osx 10.7".
Saves a bit of effort on our part :p

OP
K
Reaction score
If you mean the User Account name, go to System Preferences, click on Users & Groups. From there, you should see a box with 'Full Name:' titling it. You can then rename it there.

If you want to change the name of the computer as it appears to other people on a network etc., go System Preferences > Sharing. At the top you should see a box named 'Computer Name'.

For future knowledge, all it took to get this info was two quick Google's: "change user name osx 10.7" and "change computer name osx 10.7".
Saves a bit of effort on our part :p

Madwolfe: thanks for the info. System Preferences>sharing was the answer we needed. And you're right, I should have done a Google search first.

Kevin H.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
Madwolfe: thanks for the info. System Preferences>sharing was the answer we needed. And you're right, I should have done a Google search first.

Kevin H.
No problem :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.