Videos saved from a PC wont play on new Mac

Reaction score
I had a bunch of saved videos from when I owned a PC laptop. I switched to a Mac and I try playing them off my thumb drive and it tells me "The selected video could not be played because the file format is not recognized". What is this about and what do I need to do to watch these movies? On my old computer I downloaded something called VLC player. Would this help? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Macs don't natively support all video formats, so download VLC and Flip4Mac and Perian just to be covered and you should be all set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2011), i5, 2.4GHz, 4GB of Memory, 500GB HDD, backlit keyboards
What format are they in? I had the same issue and VLC worked for me. I'm about 2 or 3 weeks in to the switch so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2011), i5, 2.4GHz, 4GB of Memory, 500GB HDD, backlit keyboards
Macs don't natively support all video formats, so download VLC and Flip4Mac and Perian just to be covered and you should be all set.

Wow we posted at the same time! I have Flip4Mac too. I'll look into Perian. Thanks.

OP
G
Reaction score
I cant tell what format they are. Which VLC did you download? They have a 32 bit, 64 bit, and a 32/64 bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't remember seeing a choice when I downloaded it. You should be able to look in the properties to see what type they are in. When you look at the file in Finder it should show you. I have mine setup to show the files as if I had set the view to details in Windows Explorer. It makes it easier for me looking at the files.

OP
G
Reaction score
I downloaded the 64 bit and my problem is fixed. Thanks for the help. There is nothing that can hurt my computer by downloading that VLC right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
Greg,
VLC is just fine, nothing that can hurt your computer :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
thank you chas! greatly appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.