SSD troubles

Reaction score
I had another thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/267776-serious-trouble.html

but it was getting long and I can summarize here. There were signs of my HDD failing, so I purchased a SSD as a replacement. After installing the SSD, the MacBook pro would not recognize it. An external HDD worked fine (I was having problems but discovered they were fixed by not touching the HDD even slightly while the computer was on). I was advised to purchase a SATA to USB adapter, which arrived today. I was able to do a fresh install of osx on the SSD while it was external with the adapter, and had no issues. When the SSD was installed again internally, the computer still did not recognize it.

I now have the original internal HDD connected externally with the adapter, to make sure that the computer still has issues with it connected this way. It looks as though it is going to have issues, as it is taking forever to install osx on it, just like when it was an internal drive. I will update after the os is done installing to confirm that the HDD is dying even as an external drive.

What could be the issue? Why won't the computer recognize the SSD?

Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you get the latest firmware update for the SSD?

Which model is it?

OP
L
Reaction score
It's an intel 320 series 120gb SSD, and I have done nothing with its firmware. Not sure how to go about updating the firmware on it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It looks like the last firmware update for it was out in September. It's fairly likely that your drive already has that version. If you suspect it doesn't, you can go here for more information about the firmware.

The only other things I can think of off the top would be to make sure those connectors are seated tightly when it's installed internally, and also you may want to consider resetting the PRAM (turn the machine on and immediately press and hold Command+Option+P+R - continue holding until you hear the machine chime twice).

Reaction score
It's an intel 320 series 120gb SSD, and I have done nothing with its firmware. Not sure how to go about updating the firmware on it.

If you just got that drive it should have the latest firmware. I bought one back in December and it had the latest frimware.

I thing you real problem is you have a failed Hard Drive CABLE. The cable is a known point of failure. So the next step is to replace the cable.

Here's the cable you need.

http://www.etechparts.com/MacBook-Pro-13-inch-2009-2010-Hard-Drive-Cable-p/922-9062.htm

OP
L
Reaction score
Wow. Well it took a lot longer than it used to, and much longer than it did for the SSD, but OSX is installed on the original internal HDD. And surprisingly there have not been any of the issues that I had been having with it before. Guess this means that it's a motherboard or cable issue? Seems odd that the HDD could be detected and used when installed internally (though with a lot of problems) when the SSD could not.

So where do I go from here? Am I going to need professional help from this point onward? :/

OP
L
Reaction score
If you just got that drive it should have the latest firmware. I bought one back in December and it had the latest frimware.

I thing you real problem is you have a failed Hard Drive CABLE. The cable is a known point of failure. So the next step is to replace the cable.

Here's the cable you need.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2009, 2010) Hard Drive Cable

Thank you. Is this easy to install?

Reaction score
Wow. Well it took a lot longer than it used to, and much longer than it did for the SSD, but OSX is installed on the original internal HDD. And surprisingly there have not been any of the issues that I had been having with it before. Guess this means that it's a motherboard or cable issue? Seems odd that the HDD could be detected and used when installed internally (though with a lot of problems) when the SSD could not.

So where do I go from here? Am I going to need professional help from this point onward? :/

Did you install the original drive back inside the notebook and then do the install?

Because if you did and the system saw the original drive then the cable my be fine.

If you did the install while connect by USB then more then likely it is the cable that is bad and that is one reason you were having problems in the first place.

No it's not hard to change the cable. Go to MacFixIt for instructions. They also sell the cable but they want 10$ more then the other place.

OP
L
Reaction score
Did you install the original drive back inside the notebook and then do the install?

Because if you did and the system saw the original drive then the cable my be fine.

If you did the install while connect by USB then more then likely it is the cable that is bad and that is one reason you were having problems in the first place.

No it's not hard to change the cable. Go to MacFixIt for instructions. They also sell the cable but they want 10$ more then the other place.

I did install osx on the original HDD before, when it was having problems. It froze immediately after installing and I could not do anything on it, but the os was installed, whereas with the SSD the computer could never even detect it. Guess I should install the original HDD back into the computer to ensure that it's still broken?

Reaction score
I did install osx on the original HDD before, when it was having problems. It froze immediately after installing and I could not do anything on it, but the os was installed, whereas with the SSD the computer could never even detect it. Guess I should install the original HDD back into the computer to ensure that it's still broken?

Well you can run the computer from the original connected by USB using the adapter. It will be slower but at least you can use the computer. I'd do that first and see if you get any errors. If you don't then install the drive back in the system and see if you get errors. If you do with the drive in the computer then more then likely the cable is at fault.

OP
L
Reaction score
And this is even more odd. Now with the HDD that I presumes to be broken back inside, everything seems to be running smoothly. Before it would freeze instantly.

Though it is more sluggish this way than externally.

EDIT: wait now it's doing that thing where it won't let me shutdown, think it is going to freeze.

Reaction score
Take the drive out and run it by USB and see if you get the same errors, reactions.

I really think it is the cable. The only way to tell is run the computer with the original drive outside the unit by USB.

OP
L
Reaction score
I can't seem to make it crash like before. Opening up several instances of open office applications, multiple instances of safari and other applications will not crash it. Before anything would kill it. It does seem to be much more sluggish than when it was connected externally, but I am not sure. Is there a way to test this? I guess I will just use it like this for a while, but this does nothing to explain the SSD problems.

OP
L
Reaction score
Alright. The HDD definitely works better when plugged in via usb. This, however, does not explain why the SDD cannot be recognized by the computer. The internal SATA cable is a likely culprit for the HDD issue, but it seems as though I have another problem besides this.

Reaction score
Alright. The HDD definitely works better when plugged in via usb. This, however, does not explain why the SDD cannot be recognized by the computer. The internal SATA cable is a likely culprit for the HDD issue, but it seems as though I have another problem besides this.

If the spinning HDD works better outside the computer connected by USB then it does inside the computer then surely there is a problem inside the computer, other then the HDD.

And as I said before it more then likely the cable that goes from the hard drive to the computer motherboard.

To me that expands why the SSD is not being seen when you install it inside the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.