Home Button not working, HELPP!

Reaction score
My home button on my iPhone stopped working like a week ago..
Every time I want to go back to the home screen, I have to turn my phone off and back on. It's quite annoying actually.:(

Is there any way to fix this.. or any app in the app store for this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C

chas_m

An app to fix a hardware problem? Fascinating, captain.

If you've tried a complete powering-down (hold sleep/wake button until red bar appears to turn off iPhone, turn it off, press sleep/wake button again), and a complete system reset and neither of those worked, then we can assume it IS definitely a hardware problem and thus will have to be fixed by Apple or an AASP.

You can try fixing it yourself but that's not for the feint-hearted. The standard out-of-warranty replacement cost is (IIRC) $229.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
What kind of iPhone, are you on iOS 5?

If on iOS 5, open Settings App, and General>Accessilbility>AssistiveTouch
and turn that on. You can then have an on screen home button, and a few other things. Its a somewhat temp fix, but is better than not having any home button.

As for fixing, if you are in warranty, there is no charge. If out, it should be $150, that's what I was quoted 2 months ago. Or you can attempt to fix it yourself. iFixit has a replacement home button for $15, but it is not an easy repair, you have to completely disassemble the phone to do it, and risk bricking it. The cable that controls the touch part of the screen is easily torn(Trust me, I know).

Reaction score
I had the same issue with a iPhone 3G that I fixed easily

I had the exact same issue with my iPhone 3G. My job gave me a Samsung Galaxy S to use so I let my g/f use my iPhone for a few months. It quit charging and the home button quit working. I thought the connector on the bottom looked a little dirty so I blew it out. It did not help. I read up on the issue and everything I read pointed to replacing the dock assembly (none of the simple tricks like powering off worked for me). I bought one on ebay for about 8 bucks. It got damaged in shipping so the seller said she would send me a new one. This was 2 days ago. Yesterday I decided to see if I could open the iPhone. All you need is a very small screwdriver and a suction cup or a guitar pick.

I removed the SIM card, then removed the 2 small screws on the bottom. I then put the suction cup just above the home button. I held the bottom of the iPhone and pulled up slowly on the suction cup. It opened really easily. Almost too easily. It could have easily gotten damaged because it basically falls to pieces. As soon as it was open I noticed the ribbon cable on the dock assembly had become disconnected. I reconnected it and it fell of again very easily. I connected it again this time pressing firmly down. I then put the iPhone back together and everything started working perfectly.

It is really easy to fix this if this is the same reason your iPhone is not working. Just be very careful when you pull the touchscreen upwards b/c it comes apart super easily. I think the problem happened when I cleaned out the bottom of the iPhone with a can of compressed air. That ribbon cable can come off really easily and I bet you could disconnect it just by blowing in the bottom of the iPhone really hard.

I was scared to take the iPhone apart but as it were is was no good. I found a few repair guys on ebay that will fix it for 30 or 40 bucks with the dock assembly included. That is a small price to pay to get your iPhone working but you are also giving someone your info. If the home button doesn't work, the phone won't charge or barely charges and if it will not get detected by your PC it is probably a bad dock assembly or it has just became disconnected. I would at least try what I did. If that doesn't work you can send it off on ebay or buy the dock assembly for around 6-8 bucks and replace it yourself. I also read about apps that will allow you to change other buttons (maybe the volume button?) so that they can be used as the home button. I also read about an app that would put a home button on your screen. I was never able to find them and gave up on them.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.