Newbie with Powerbook Power Issues

Reaction score
I have been repairing PC's for about 5 years as a hobby, but have never touched a mac. My entire household has ipods and iphones, so learning a Mac has become a must.

Today i received a Powerbook G4 M5884 from a co-worker. He gave me the laptop, various drives, chargers, batteries..... a whole box full of stuff. He said that the computer worked great but he let his son borrow it and it hasnt worked since. He had one guy look at it, but couldnt revive it.

So, i get my new toy back to my office. Plug in the power adapter and received nothing. Swapped to another power adapter with the same result. I have swapped batteries and pushed the pram reset button, still nothing.

- batteries; when the test button is pushed, nothing lights up.
- Power adapter: both adapters do to get warm after 20 minutes or so. they also spark when the AC power cord is plugged into them. which i thought was odd.
- Powerbook: With power connected nothing happens. There isnt any lights, no sounds..... Nothing.

I have had the charger hooked up for about 5 hours at this point.

I am at work, so my troubleshooting tools are limited. I plan on troubleshooting once i get home, but any suggestions are ideas will be appreciated. Please keep in mind that i have never used, work on or sat in front of a mac before.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just got home.

I checked both power adapters and they are good.

normally, i start assuming that the MB is bad or power connector bad. But i have been doing a bit of reading and it seems like a bad battery is well within the realm of possibilities. I really dont want to buy another battery just to see if this is worth fooling with..... Will the powerbook work off the ac adapter with the battery ejected? Or at least allow some lights to come on?

The pram shouldnt be in play until a certail point of the boot sequence.... right? so if the pram battery was bad, i should atleast get something i would think?

OP
M
Reaction score
update.

I disasembled thed computer to where i have access to the motherboard. I have verified that i am receiving 23.76v st md where the charging port ties in...... So i am getting power.

I am still not sure if the battery is required for this laptop to run or not.

OP
M
Reaction score
I think i may have stumbled on one of my problems.

The powerbook came with two 45w yoyo style chargers. From what i can tell, the connectors are slightly diffrent then the charger i need.

It looks like i need a 661-3346 ( or Equiv) with a 2.3mm x 7.5mm x 9mm connector. The two adapters i have has a 3mm x 9.5mm x 12mm connector.

The adapter is supplying power to the MB, but i think the size diffrent is causing the vsense not to communicate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.