Problem with Pioneer DVR-105 and Blue&White G3/OS 9.1

E

elvisgump

A while back I purchased a used Blue & White G3 that has a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW and OS 9.1 installed. My aggravation is that this thing won't run any version of Apple DVD Player so I can't do much of anything. I can't even burn a data DVD with Toast 5. I can burn and read CDs but that's about it.

I've run across one article that said that using Apple Profiler I should be able to detect a needed MPEG card of some sort to make this thing work that I don't seem to have. Lost the link to the article and can't seem to find even that again.

Can anyone offer advice of what the specs and things are I need to make this thing work?

OP
E

elvisgump

Downloaded the Tome Viewer thing and did all the steps this FAQ said.
http://web.tiscali.it/thinkdifferent/english/faq.html

Restarted and still no joy, the Apple DVD player won't launch and I get an error that "This Macintosh does not support Apple DVD Player (error number 301)"

The ****ation is that I HAVE the ****ed Pioneer installed and a DVD in it that mounts on the desktop! I just can't do anything but browse the file directory.

**** Toast won't even let me burn a data DVD which is the most useful thing I really want to do with the drive, even though I can browse the exact same DVD brand and batch of Maxell DVDs I just burnt on a PC. When I put the same one in Toast says no disk in burner.

I'm so mad at this thing I'm ready to turn the machine into a door stop. Apple really ****ed up their plug and play motto with this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
is OS X a no go as you'd have almost problems with that i guess

OP
E

elvisgump

I've since found a patch on that http://web.tiscali.it/ site that allowed me to patch the Apple DVD Player 2.7 so it would work though it appears to be a non-Apple hack.

I don't know if it' worth switching my 450mhz G3 to X. I'm waiting to see what the new Intel Macs shape up like before making any new purchases

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
mate people run 450MHz machines on X so it must be worth it.

then when the new Mactels come out you can still get one then :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.