MobileMe to iCloud Questions

Reaction score
Like others, I got notice that my MobileMe account was expiring and that I need to switch to iCloud.

I have Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I thought I understood that iCloud is for Lion and Mountain Lion users only. Is that correct?

If so, will I lose my .mac email account if I don't switch to iCloud?

I am very confused about this, so any and all information is most welcome!

Thanks! Julez

OP
NekkidFish
Reaction score
Your questions should all be answered here:

Apple - MobileMe - MobileMe transition and iCloud

and here:

All about iCloud: Common signup scenarios | Macworld

Bottom line: upgrade to Lion before June 30th if your machine is physically able to upgrade.

Holy cow ... that is all so confusing!!

I seriously doubt I can upgrade, as my iMac is like 5 years old. :(

Can you provide one more link ... to show if I am able to upgrade? Is it worth it to me to upgrade? All I care about is keeping my .mac email address. =\

Thanks so much! Julez

C

chas_m

If your machine is older than mine (mid-2007), you probably can't upgrade.

However, if you have at least one iOS device that can run iOS 5, you can upgrade to iCloud through it, and then your email should continue as normal.

You will not lose your .mac email address if you upgrade to iCloud, as I still have mine. However, I can't tell you clearly what will happen to your .mac account after June 30th if you don't upgrade. Apple haven't (as far as I know) explicitly spelled that out.

System requirements for Lion:
Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
2GB of memory
OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
7GB of available space

OP
NekkidFish
Reaction score
If your machine is older than mine (mid-2007), you probably can't upgrade.

However, if you have at least one iOS device that can run iOS 5, you can upgrade to iCloud through it, and then your email should continue as normal.

You will not lose your .mac email address if you upgrade to iCloud, as I still have mine. However, I can't tell you clearly what will happen to your .mac account after June 30th if you don't upgrade. Apple haven't (as far as I know) explicitly spelled that out.

System requirements for Lion:
Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
2GB of memory
OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
7GB of available space

Okay, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo.
3GB of memory
OS X 10.6.8

But, I can't find the available space. Can you tell me where I find that?

HUGz! Julez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook1.1, Intel Core Duo 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 10.6.8
Older MacBook running 10.6.8 - any iCloud workarounds?

I can get to iCloud and my me.com via my iTouch 4th gen, but my older MacBook 1.1 doesn't meet the Lion system requirements.

I only use the laptop to read, surf, and listen to music (and write of course).
I don't see any reason to use financial or environmental resources to upgrade a unit that (apart from this email issue) meets my needs and has several years of use left in it.

Are there any workarounds for older Mac users?
The main article says that we're to be "left out in the cold".

Otherwise, I'll end up with a Windows box next go-round...

Thanks for any suggestions.

OP
NekkidFish
Reaction score
The available space is printed at the bottom of every finder window, thus:

I am so sorry I haven't been back. Okay, so I have 27.6 GB free ... so it looks like I'm good to go to be able to upgrade, right?

And, I was paying $99 a year for the MobileMe account, but if you upgrade to Lion, iCloud is free?

Thanks bunches!! Jules

C

chas_m

Yes, all you need to do is upgrade to Lion (which you can buy for $30 from the Mac App Store, which you should already have).

Once that's installed, just revisit your Mobile Me "pane" in the System Preferences and you'll see a button that says "upgrade to iCloud." It's very painless from there, and your email will not change in any way (and you get to keep using it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I have a Lion machine, a SL machine and 2 iOS machines. Currently, they're all being synced with MM. I know that iCloud will work with both iOS machines and the Lion machine, but how do I sync the SL machine which is my primary desktop and it's where both iOS machine(iPad & iPhone) are synced. I don't think I want to upgrade it.

My question is how do I sync my contacts/calendar/etc on my SL machine? Do I do it thru iTunes? I really confused about this one aspect of the change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have a Lion machine, a SL machine and 2 iOS machines. Currently, they're all being synced with MM. I know that iCloud will work with both iOS machines and the Lion machine, but how do I sync the SL machine which is my primary desktop and it's where both iOS machine(iPad & iPhone) are synced. I don't think I want to upgrade it.

My question is how do I sync my contacts/calendar/etc on my SL machine? Do I do it thru iTunes? I really confused about this one aspect of the change.

You'd have to sync via iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.