Downloading error

Reaction score
Hi, my MacBook Pro is almost 3 years old now and I am suddenly having an error when i try to download anything. It reads "[location] could not be saved because an unknown error occurred. Please try saving to a different location." I have always downloaded to my downloads folder but i tried changing it under my preferences to several other locations and nothing is working. I would be grateful for any advise! Thanks!
Currently running 10.5.8
Also note; i cannot download or instal (so i cant update anything)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which browser are you using? Try cleaning the caches - browsing, download, etc. Repair permissions and then try again. You might want to download the free maintenance and cleanup tool "OnyX" from here. Run it in auto mode. It will clean the caches, repair permissions, and verify your hard drive.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you very much, this problem was actually solved by someone on Mac Forums giving me the terminal comman to download google chrome where i was able to download safari afterward. I also realized that running Firefox in safe mode would probably do the trick. Thanks again, problem solved!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.