Macbook Unibody screen broke.... warranty for other problem?

Reaction score
Hi,

Basially, I've got a Macbook Unibody 13 inch, the white one they sold in 2011 and I believe have stopped selling now.

Last night, I managed to accidently break the screen of my Macbook, smashed RIGHT in the centre of the screen and the whole thing has broke, the computer still works, just the entire screen broke. I'm devistated.

My macbook is only 9 months old therefore still is under warranty, I'm so annoyed because I've kept it in such good condition, I have the box, the recipt, everything in good condition then this stupid thing happens.

Anyway, I know I can't claim this under my 1 year warranty as it's not covered...

HOWEVER,

After about 7 months of owning the Macbook I noticed the hinges of the case started to crack, from general use, and looking on the internt it is a common problem, of which is a design fault, this is in NO way related to the broken screen which happened last night.

I was wondering....would it be possible to get the broken screen replaced under the warranty for the cracked hinges? (people have got it repaired for this fault several times for free)

If I brought it into the apple store turned off, would they even need to turn it on, meaning they would never even notice?

Is this at all possible?

Thanks!

Reaction score
To my knowledge Apple has not sold a WHITE Mac notebook in about 3-5 years and certainly not a new one in 2011.

So whatever you have it is not new from Apple.

In any event the warranty does not cover accidental damage, which is clearly what you have.

Will they fix it for you, Yes they will. Will they charge you ti fix it, Yes they will.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
To my knowledge Apple has not sold a WHITE Mac notebook in about 3-5 years and certainly not a new one in 2011.

So whatever you have it is not new from Apple.

FYI - Apple has only recently stopped making the White Macbook. This article states that it was still in production last year.

Apple Phasing Out White MacBook in Favor of Entry-Level MacBook Air? - Mac Rumors

OP - With regards to your problem, as Shootist states, the warranty only covers defective equipment and not accidental damage. If you have house insurance you would be able to claim against that.

Not really the answer you were looking for I guess, but I suppose you could always ask them if they would replace it for free - Don't ask, don't get!

OP
S
Reaction score
FYI - Apple has only recently stopped making the White Macbook. This article states that it was still in production last year.

Apple Phasing Out White MacBook in Favor of Entry-Level MacBook Air? - Mac Rumors

OP - With regards to your problem, as Shootist states, the warranty only covers defective equipment and not accidental damage. If you have house insurance you would be able to claim against that.

Not really the answer you were looking for I guess, but I suppose you could always ask them if they would replace it for free - Don't ask, don't get!

I understand that I won't be able to get it replaced for the broken screen issue, because that was my fault.

I was wondering if I could get it replaced based on the cracked plastic casing around the hinges, which I didn't do?

Several articles are on the web about the cracking issue as a recognized fault and more often that not they have fixed it.

Simply, COULD I go into the apple store asking for a replacement top half based on the cracked hinges, NOT the broken screen?

Thanks

Reaction score
Sorry about my lack of knowledge on White Macbooks.
But Apple could and probably would say that you Mac is no longer covered by the warranty because of abuse.
Although you state the hinge crack didn't occur as a result of the broken screen they don't know that and will assume that it is a result of that damage.
But there is no harm in asking them. Apple is the only one that can answer that question.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry about my lack of knowledge on White Macbooks.
But Apple could and probably would say that you Mac is no longer covered by the warranty because of abuse.
Although you state the hinge crack didn't occur as a result of the broken screen they don't know that and will assume that it is a result of that damage.
But there is no harm in asking them. Apple is the only one that can answer that question.

Yeah, I was guessing they would try anything they could to avoid replairing it and just blame me!

Do you think if I went in with the macbook turned off and out of bettery they would even consider turning it on? With the screen off you can't even see anything wrong with the screen at all.

Is there any other way I can prove it wasn't me, the hinge issue? Take in printed forum posts of other users with the exact same issue that had it fixed?

Anything at all?!

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was wondering....would it be possible to get the broken screen replaced under the warranty for the cracked hinges? (people have got it repaired for this fault several times for free)

Simple answer...NO!

Broken hinges are broken hinges...and a broken display panel is a broken display panel. They are completely different parts...thus when one is replaced...the other is not automatically replaced as well.

Compare this situation to an automobile. If the windshield wiper motor is broken...they don't also replace the windshield (without charging you extra)!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This is what home contents is for I'm afraid.... or dedicated gadget insurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.