Pointer arrow going nuts

Reaction score
Hi, I did a search but couldn't find any posts about my problem.
My problem is that I have a MacBook and for a week or so now, the pointer arrow will jump all over the screen when I try to move it. It does it when I use the trackpad or a mouse. I can't click on anything because it just keeps moving all over the screen. It will open programs, the dashboard and even change the size of the font on the screen all by itself.
Has anyone else had this problem and know how I can fix it? TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've seen various issues with pointer/trackpad sensitivity but nothing that remains when a mouse is used.

You may well just have a faulty trackpad. I'd head straight back to the apple store with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
As above from mrplow, but if it's out of warranty, have you upgraded the RAM recently?
Sometimes incompatible memory will cause sporadic problems.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just another thought.... if you disable the trackpad when a mouse is connected does the problem still occur?

OP
N
Reaction score
No, I haven't upgraded the ram. I haven't tried disabling the trackpad but will give it a go and see if it still happens. Will let you know how it goes.

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds dumb but how do I disable the trackpad. I tried but can't see any option to disable it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.