Can't maintain connection to my NAS

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ connected directly to my Airport Extreme router. I am connected wirelessly to the network with a MacBook Pro.

From my MBP I can open folders on the NAS OK, and access them via Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and iTunes...for a while. After several minutes both programs show the files being tracked by the respective program as no longer existing. 9/10 times I can simply go into finder and reopen the NAS folder and all is good. On occasion that won't work. I either have to close the program or reboot.

I don't ever have this issue with my PC that is connected via Ethernet.

Curious if anyone can fathom a guess what may be causing the drops on my MBP?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK a few things to look at:

1. level the playing field, connect the MBP by ethernet and see if the problem persists
2. Log into the control panel of the NAS and ensure that any powerdown/sleep/wake on lan setting is either off or has a 30/60 minute value.
3. Use Airport Utility to configure your Extreme to always allocate the same IP address to the NAS drive

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
1) Done, waiting to see what happens
2) NAS is not set to sleep...not even sure how to do this. Recall that this never happens from a PC connection
3) I see no way to allocate any addresses. Plus, it always remains in place on the sidebar so it's still visible on the network. Can't imagine the IP address is changing...

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it seems that connected via Ethernet the drives did not drop like before. Not definitive but it may now seem to be related to the wireless connection. Any clues how to fix the wireless side?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd allocate the same IP to the MBP as mentioned above and I'd use a tool like iStumbler to monitor and sweep the local wireless traffic and change the channel your using for your network.

If you're getting strong interference it can disrupt your connection. Not necessarily enough to completely quash your connection but enough to upset any connections.

A persistent IP and a channel furthest away from interference should help the connection stability.

Also, you don't mention your OS version but ensure you're fully up to date

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now it seems that I DID drop the connection when wired. Took longer but that may have been a coincidence. As for allocating IPs...that's way beyond my skill set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt it's beyond your skills :)

Just follow the instructions in the link above.

But, on the back of that, now we've established it happens on both wired and wireless I'd suggest we need to look at which protocol the NAS is using to share its files.

Which version of OSX are you using?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest version...Lion

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still a problem. I'm considering changing my main PC to a mac but this issue is a show stopper and will keep me on Windows until I get this fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There seem to be a few issues with the Netgear ReadyNAS dropping connections. Mac and Windows.

But here's a thread from the Netgear forums. The script and ensuring that the firmware and Raidr software are upto date seems to be working for some

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60497

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a mac dummy...how do I execute that script? I assume that it would have to be automated to run on startup? If so how?

thanks

(By the way, one of those posts in that thread is mine...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a mac dummy...how do I execute that script? I assume that it would have to be automated to run on startup? If so how?

thanks

(By the way, one of those posts in that thread is mine...)

In the Applescript editor, once you've run it and made sure it mounts the disk as expected you can save it as an Application.

Then go to System Preferences - Accounts - login items and click the plus to add a item, browse to where you saved your script application.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't work :(
Network file error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What didn't work exactly? Changing to AFP? Modifying the script? running the script? Adding it to startup?

Having a bit of search around the Netgear ReadyNAS seems to have connection issues Windows and Mac - though you're only experiencing Mac issues, I appreciate that.

I'd suggest following the advice given on the Netgear forum (updating the Netgear software on your Mac and the firmware on your NAS). Change to AFP in the NAS config panel then using the suggested script. Though obviously the share name needs updating.

Failing that a DM to 'killerbob' on the Netgear forum may help as he has many posts on there regarding your model of NAS drive and uses it on a Mac

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't have AFP set on my NAS so I enabled it, then ran the script. First it says drive can't be found then Drive access permission error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you post the script as you have it now?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you post the script as you have it now?

mount volume "afp://BMK-rnp (AFP)._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Photos"
mount volume "afp://BMK-rnp (AFP)._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Media"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's definitely the name of your NAS on the network?

While connected to the NAS right click on the Photos folder and choose Get Info. The server line will give you the full path to the NAS. This is what needs to go after the "afp://

If you've allocated an IP address as per my early post this is how the script would look:

If the IP was 192.168.0.80

tell application "Finder"
try
tell me to mount volume "afp://192.168.0.80/Photos"
end try
end tell

If you have a username and password or Guest account on the NAS you need to add those into the script. But try that script first then we can tweak it once you have a working connection.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks...I tried to tell folks I had no clue what I was doing. I'm a PC guy by heart, haven't figured out a lot of this stuff in OSX yet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.