INDD to pdf - strange lines appearing in the pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hi all

This one is for those working in INDD (InDesign).

I am creating a pdf from indd but am getting lines in the pdf that are not in the originating indd file. Has anyone come across this before, and if so, do they have a work-around or fix.

The "lines" I'm talking about look like the text frames have a hairline border, but they don't in the artwork. Very weird.

Any suggestion appreciated. It's driving me nuts.

Have included a snapshot – the lines are around the text.

thanks
Kym

Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 11.21.47 AM.png

C

chas_m

I have seen this phenomena before myself, but it's been long enough that I don't specifically recall what I did to fix it.

Play around with various different PDF settings and see if there's any where the effect goes away. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'll play around with it on my next little project and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Reaction score
G'day Kym

It happens whenever there is complex layering (eg. text over a gradient) but it only happens if you're saving to an old PDF compatibility (eg. Acrobat 4) and/or viewing in an old version of Acrobat (Pro 9 doesn't seem to show these any more). If you zoom right in on the lines you'll find they don't get bigger.

If you're creating the PDF for print — don't worry about it because it's just a preview thing.

If you're creating the PDF for screen — choose a higher transparency flattener resolution and save to the latest compatibility you have available. If that doesn't work, you could try converting your text to outlines before export (not sure if that will make a diffenerence — but worth a try.

Good luck
m.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.