MBP won''t boot - Hear chime, fans and keyboard functions

Reaction score
any help greatly appreciated.

Shut down my 2007, 15" MBP two nights ago and now it won't start.I thought it was my old battery (really old), but the new one just ensures that the MBP will chime upon start up.

What happens: after pressing the power button, I hear fans (or Hard Drive), chime, and, when pressed, I can change the level of the volume (and toggle caps and num lock), but nothing appears on the screen.

I'm looking for advice on what to do. It's an old computer, so if I have to seek a repair, I may instead buy a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you look very closely at the screen can you see anything or is it completely black? Any chance of hooking up an external screen?

OP
E
Reaction score
No light can be seen from the screen. I thought the external monitor would work, but it didn't - it didn't recognize any signals.

When I press any key, other than fn, ctr. option, and apple, I hear the "you-pressed-too-many-buttons" prompt that happens when the computer is running normally.

Reaction score
2007 MBP = likely the NVidia GPU failure. More experienced MBP user replies to follow I'm sure.

Reaction score
2007 MBP = likely the NVidia GPU failure. More experienced MBP user replies to follow I'm sure.

If it's a late 2007 model then +1 on the Nvidia problem.

In any event you are well outside any warranty coverage and it will more the likely cost more to fix then the unit is worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
There was a recall on the 2007/early 2008 models with the nvidia graphics cards. If it's not 4 years old (pushing it, I know) you can get it repaired for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.