Ordering iPad 3 online at release

Reaction score
When the iPad 3 is released, I plan on getting online right away and either ordering or pre-ordering the device. Based off prior experiences, do you think this will be a reliable method to receive the iPad 3 quickly?

Let me throw something else out there. If I decide to get my iPad engraved, how long will that add to the shipment? Do you know if they engrave them overseas, or do it here is the US? Thanks for any help!

The closest Apple Store is ~2 hrs away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I know that with the iPad 2, it was available in store almost immediately upon the announcement, but if you ordered it online it took something like a week to gat to you.

OP
T
Reaction score
I know that with the iPad 2, it was available in store almost immediately upon the announcement, but if you ordered it online it took something like a week to gat to you.

A week isn't bad...I mean, it's already listed as 3-5 business days. I just don't want it to be something like 2-4 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
It just depends on how soon after its announced you press the order button. It will probably only be a few hours at most before the shipping window starts to slide back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And... it's not advisable to get it engraved. If you ever should want to sell it in the future, the engraving will make it difficult to get a sale.

Also, please do not use an outsized font as it makes it difficult to read for others. If you're visually impaired, use the zoom function or command + to increase the viewing font. (Safari)

OP
T
Reaction score
And... it's not advisable to get it engraved. If you ever should want to sell it in the future, the engraving will make it difficult to get a sale.

Also, please do not use an outsized font as it makes it difficult to read for others. If you're visually impaired, use the zoom function or command + to increase the viewing font. (Safari)

Okay, sorry about the font problem. Ill keep it regular from now on.

Although engraving does make it difficult to sell later, it also deters against theft...so I guess there are pros and cons. I just would like to know if getting it engraved makes the process longer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Although engraving does make it difficult to sell later, it also deters against theft...so I guess there are pros and cons.

I seriously doubt it! Some engraving is not going to stop a thief from stealing a $500-$800 piece of HIGHLY desirable electronic equipment. I don't care what you engrave it with...your:

- Name
- phone number
- address
- social security number
- or anything "cute"

If someone wants to steal it...they will...then remove the engraving via whatever method will do it. And if you engrave it with something like..."I Love My iPad!"...well...then there's no need to remove something like that!;)

"chscag's" advice is RIGHT ON...DON'T get it engraved!!! It won't deter theft...and when you sell it in the future (BELIEVE ME YOU WILL)...whatever you engrave on it...potential buyers WILL not find it nearly as "interesting" as you did.;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Well, Pigoo, as you say ... if someone had it engraved "I love my iPad" I don't think that would be a deterrent to selling it ... :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
if someone had it engraved "I love my iPad" I don't think that would be a deterrent to selling it ...

It would be to me if I were the buyer, but that's just me. In my opinion, the only thing that should be engraved is a wedding ring set. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wouldn't it be "I <3 my iPad?" :p

Reaction score
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as you. This will be my first iPad and I'm planning on ordering as soon as I possibly can! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
When the 2 came out - if you were first online - then it was 1-2 weeks - it dropped to 2-3 weeks soon after and very soon after that (I was still hemming and hawing) it became 3-4 weeks. I hit order at that point. One of my co-workers got the 4-5 week delivery. The sooner you hit order - the faster you get it. They usually tell you how long the delay will be if you engrave something. Consider engraving later or using an engraved sticky back piece of metal. Not so permanent.

If I were a thief I could easily cover over any engraving with a sticker, or a zagg skin - wouldn't be much of a deterrent.

C

chas_m

I think we can safely predict that despite Apple's best efforts at stockpiling, there will be shortages early on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.