Audio inputs/outputs

Reaction score
Greetings:

I am currently using a 15" MBP (2007) in which I have a 10 channel sound board connected to create my pre-recorded radio show via Garageband. My MBP has two jacks on the side, one for headphones, the other is line in.

I'm in the market to upgrade either to 13" MBA or MBP, but I see from the specs that there is only one audio port, which apple classifies as Audio in/out.
Written up as:
- Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output)
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

My concern/question... can I plug my soundboard right into the audio jack and continue to use Garageband to create my radio show.

The soundboard of course has phantom power with two mics connected to it.

Comments are appreciated.

Avro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
The jack is indeed combined.

Plugging in a standard 3.5mm jack will give you analogue stereo out.

Your Macbook will automatically recognise it if you plug in a mini-toslink optical cable which is more suited to multi-channel audio out. You may need an adapter of some description to connect the mini-toslink to your soundboard.

Cheers

Just a moot point..you'll only get data streaming over optical not power.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Pendlewitch. I guess my question wasn't clear enough. I understand that plugging in a 3/8 jack for output such as headphones is pretty standard.

I'm more concerned about plugging my soundboard into that audio jack (equipped with a couple of phantom powered mics) to record basic conversation directly into Garageband.

In other words is that audio jack capable of sound in either direction, in or out?

Avro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks for the response Pendlewitch. I guess my question wasn't clear enough. I understand that plugging in a 3/8 jack for output such as headphones is pretty standard.

I'm more concerned about plugging my soundboard into that audio jack (equipped with a couple of phantom powered mics) to record basic conversation directly into Garageband.

In other words is that audio jack capable of sound in either direction, in or out?

Avro

No mate I think I misunderstood .

I think the jack is Line Level if that helps, your source will need amplification?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yah, I have two condenser mics connected to the soundboard. I find using a phantom powered mic much better than the dynamic type.

With the condenser mics, I only have to have the input volume set at about 3/10 but if I use a dynamic mic that input volume level has to be much higher, say 8 or 9/10

The output volume of the soundboard is not amplified, just the mics connected to the board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.