• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

GM... Yikes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
maybe if they made a quality product and stuff that people would repeatedly buy they wouldnt have to do that. i was wondering the other day who ok'ed the HHR and that other ugly truck a couple of years ago. that is some bad decision making.

T

twotone

GM has nobody to blame but themselves. If they would have re-tooled and started thinking about alternative energy vehicles 10 years ago, they would be on top right now. Ford and Chrysler should take notice as well. GM's car quality rating went up a few years ago as well as other american car companies, however it may have been too late.
They lost a ton of customers in the late 80's throuh mid 90's because they were producing crap. People like me, who were long time GM loyalists had to go in another direction, which for me was Honda. I have been a Honda buyer since '82 had a lapse of judgment in 1990 and bought a Dodge Caravan that I owned for 6 months then had to bail on it. It was loaded with problems, typical american made car quirks, rattles, poor mpg etc., etc.
It's not too late, however, GM now has to push hard into coming up with creative plans for bio-diesel, gas/electric hybrids and fuel cell technology.
Perhaps this will be their wake up call.
I feel really bad for all those people that are going to loose their jobs a GM.
It wasn't their fault that their company has no vision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It has so little to do with that honestly. What GMs problem is that it has for years caved too much to the unions and their unrealistic demands. The unions are the cause of the downfall of the automakers and airlines just as equally or IMHO more so than bad management and planning.

The unions of today are unrealistic in their demands and are relics of a time past. I'm not saying their irrelevant, just that if they don't change with the times then the union workers have no one to blame but themselves when their companies aren't competitive and they lose their jobs.

It had nothing to do with GMs lack of planning for alternative energies, etc. None of the automakers have seriously invested much in that. And no, Honda and Toyota's half-hearted attempts don't count.

T

twotone

schweb said:
It has so little to do with that honestly. What GMs problem is that it has for years caved too much to the unions and their unrealistic demands. The unions are the cause of the downfall of the automakers and airlines just as equally or IMHO more so than bad management and planning.

Granted, the greedy unions are a problem. However, the unions have no say as to what comes out of the design room. As for Toyota, if I'm not mistaken, the Prius is still the #1 hybrid with ton's on buyers on waiting lists. That my friend is not a "half-hearted" attempt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because it's the best selling doesn't mean it was not an after thought or half-hearted attempt.

For example, if a car company was truly thinking about alternative fuels, their entire line would be running as hybrids or more. Toyota only has the Prius. So yes, I would claim it to be a half-hearted attempt. Toyota only got lucky because of the recent oil crisis. I doubt they planned it that way.

T

twotone

Look, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Besides we're off topic. The post was about the sad fact that thousands of hardworking people will be loosing their jobs because GM doesn't know how to make cars that people will race to buy AND KEEP!. It's as simple as that.
I'll give Chrysler's design dept. a lot of credit for the thinking up a lot of creative and attractive looking vehicles in the last few years. They're union! and are not suffering! So it can't be all the unions fault.
I'm out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
GM has been riddled with chronic shortsightedness since the '60s.

It failed to notice Volkswagen's invasion in that decade, which exposed the big three's weakness: small cars. VW cracked it, and Toyota, Honda, and the rest squeezed in. Then they used statistical quality control to improve quality until they surpassed the big three.

The big three surrendered the small car market, and then the midsize market. Instead, they pursued big trucks, and developed an inspired scheme to sell cargo and utility vehicles to families. Which worked fine, generating big profits, until gas prices shot up.

schweb said:
For example, if a car company was truly thinking about alternative fuels, their entire line would be running as hybrids or more. Toyota only has the Prius. So yes, I would claim it to be a half-hearted attempt. Toyota only got lucky because of the recent oil crisis. I doubt they planned it that way.
Prius, Highlander hybrid, Lexus RX400 hybrid, and the upcoming Camry hybrid, with plans for a hybrid option on every model within the decade...

Honda, meanwhile, has the Insight, Civic hybrid, Accord hybrid, with a natural gas Civic set to go into full production this year, and like (much larger) GM, has hydrogen prototypes on the road as a test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But these are all recent decisions and alll auto makers are planning a full out hybrid assault now. What I'm saying is that neither Toyota or Honda have been looking into alternative fuels seriously since the '80's which was the proposed solution to GMs issues.

My main point is that the main problem of GM and the rest of the Big 3 auto makers is the unions are their ridiculous demands which companies like Honda and Toyota don't have to deal with. Look at Volkswagen and all its problems as well. Another company heavily controlled and hamstrung by unions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
It doesn't help that GM doesn't know how to advertise. Their strategy has basically been: "Hey, let's make one car in each or our companies that excels and we don't make much money off of, then overcharge for the rest, and provide no reason for buying them other than the fact that we are the makers of this one flagship car!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meyvn said:
It doesn't help that GM doesn't know how to advertise. Their strategy has basically been: "Hey, let's make one car in each or our companies that excels and we don't make much money off of, then overcharge for the rest, and provide no reason for buying them other than the fact that we are the makers of this one flagship car!"
Pretty true. However I think most car manufacturers fall into that category. Most have one or maybe two hit cars that everyone thinks of right away but they probably can't name the rest. ;)

I honestly can't even remember the last time I've seen a compelling car advertisement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.