Designer looking to build a desktop setup with a Macbook pro.

Reaction score
So I'm a designer with a PC desktop and a Macbook Pro laptop.

I spend almost all my time on my Macbook, and it's a great machine. However, as a designer I need more screen space. I could spend a ton of money on an iMac, but that might not be in the cards for me right now.

What I want to do is build a setup with my Macbook. I was thinking I would get an adapter to feed my Macbook through my PC monitor and get an apple keyboard for it. I already have a Magic Mouse.

I have a few questions.

1. Can I basically do a setup like this and dock my macbook and put it off to the side while I'm using it through my monitor?

2. What's the right adapter for this kind of job?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I'm a designer with a PC desktop and a Macbook Pro laptop.

I spend almost all my time on my Macbook, and it's a great machine. However, as a designer I need more screen space. I could spend a ton of money on an iMac, but that might not be in the cards for me right now.

What I want to do is build a setup with my Macbook. I was thinking I would get an adapter to feed my Macbook through my PC monitor and get an apple keyboard for it. I already have a Magic Mouse.

All you need to do it plug an external monitor, keyboard, and input device into your Macbook Pro...and you're ready to go (folks do this all the time)!:)

I have a few questions.

2. What's the right adapter for this kind of job?

No idea...until we know what exact model MacBook Pro you have.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
1. Yes
2. What year is your MacBook? Also what kind of inputs does your display take?
Most MacBooks of late are mini display port or thunderbolt. Earlier had mini dvi too.
Displays tend to be hdmi or dvi but there are still some VGA displays out there.
There are adapters for all combos. Check here.
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

I haven 2009 MBP with a mini display port to dvi adapter hooked up to a Dell monitor.

Except if you have a 30" with that ultra high resolution. - there is a special adapter for that.

OP
C
Reaction score
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
I think it was the model from like May 2010 or so...

If I have it running through a larger resolution monitor, am I going to notice a performance drop?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.