All Mac OS discs freeze at boot, but windows doesn't

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmm, okay i think you may be onto something there.

Do you have any idea what could have possibly damaged the RAM?
I have removed it and replaced it an extensive amount of times so is it possible that there is any damage to the actual ram slots?

Memory can be damaged in several different ways - it can overheat, or be subject to electrostatic discharge (ESD) if not handled properly.

I have a feeling it just might not be the correct type (bus speed, latency, ECC, etc). The memory that you use has to match up to what your chipset supports. Sometimes the chipset will go into a "least common denominator" mode just to make the machine limp along, but it will not be fully functional. I suspect that's the problem here.

I would imagine that if the slots were damaged, the machine probably wouldn't POST at all (i.e. you'd get system beeps when you tried to turn it on).

I would reinstall the original memory that came with the machine and see how it runs with that. If all is well, then you know what's going on.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core Duo, Nvidia Geforce 8800, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 24 inch aluminium iMac
Memory can be damaged in several different ways - it can overheat, or be subject to electrostatic discharge (ESD) if not handled properly.

I have a feeling it just might not be the correct type (bus speed, latency, ECC, etc). The memory that you use has to match up to what your chipset supports. Sometimes the chipset will go into a "least common denominator" mode just to make the machine limp along, but it will not be fully functional. I suspect that's the problem here.

I would imagine that if the slots were damaged, the machine probably wouldn't POST at all (i.e. you'd get system beeps when you tried to turn it on).

I would reinstall the original memory that came with the machine and see how it runs with that. If all is well, then you know what's going on.

The original memory that the machine came with are two sticks of : Goldenmars 2GB 800MHz CL5 819P GMT 20028SOX925-800 (SO DIMM PC 6400 800MHz) stock ram

It still has the same issue that I have been having the whole time.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bump
Any further help would be appreciated :)
Anyone feel free to voice their opinion.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've redone every step mentioned in this thread, and still no success.

Any other ideas?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bumpity bump bump

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you replace the RAM with known good modules?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
Well i actually found a temporary solution that i am pretty sure will work.
I decided to take the mac hdd out, put it in a windows based computer and via iBoot install mac OS leopard onto it, then when it is installed, i will put it back into the iMac :D

Brilliant?

I will post results soon

thanks for all the help cwa107 ur a champion :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mabye not... lolll it wont boot up on the mac, it does the same grey screen as before, so this rules out that there is a hdd issue!

It must be the ram :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This was mentioned. Be aware that Macs of the era use low density Mac compatible memory only and not cheaper high density PC modules which cause precisely the problems you have been experiencing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.