Virus scans and maintenance

Reaction score
Do I have to run any anti-virus, anti-spyware or anti-malware protection software for my my macbook pro on a regular basis? If so, can anyone recommend software for these tasks?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core Duo, Nvidia Geforce 8800, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 24 inch aluminium iMac
Not necessary, macs aren't very prone to viruses and the anti virus software you buy for them is pointless (anyone who buys them is an idiot), they don't do anything and just become bloatware.

C

chas_m

Anti-malware protection is already built in on your Mac (if you're running Snow Leopard or higher) and is silently updated by Apple.

There are no Mac viruses, no "spyware" in the PC sense of the term (of course if some nefarious person has PHYSICAL access to your Mac, they could install a keylogger or something like that). The closest thing we have to "remote access" spyware on the Mac is Google. :)

There's actually an entire stickied thread devoted to this topic, not sure how you could have missed it:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Not necessary, macs aren't very prone to viruses and the anti virus software you buy for them is pointless (anyone who buys them is an idiot)...

...or perhaps just unaware that free versions are available that might satisfy a college's requirement for such software for everyone, even Mac owners.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.