iMac G3 Wireless Issues

Reaction score
A while back I came into possession of an old violet iMac G3. 256 mb RAM, 20gb hard drive. It is running OS 10.3.9.

I have an airport card installed in it. The problem is it's not detecting any wireless networks in the area, including but not limited to the NetGear router I use in my apartment. Right now there are 6 networks my MacBook Pro can detect from nearby apartments. The G3 detects none of them.

I've been all over the internet trying to troubleshoot this, but no luck yet. Does anyone out there have any insight?

Other info: In the past, I had the computer connected to the internet via an ethernet cable through the same aforementioned NetGear router.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What method of encryption is your Netgear router set for? That G3 can only do WEP. Does it connect to the internet if you hook the ethernet cable up again?

C

chas_m

In addition to what chscag points out, the airport card in that iMac can ONLY do 802.11b. No G, no A, no N.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.