Speech commands - speakable bookmark problem

Reaction score
I just started playing around with Mac's speech commands.

I was able to add commands for webapages as directed by saying "make this page speakable"

the resulting file had this in it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>URL</key>
<string>http://www.mac-forums.com/</string>
</dict>
</plist>

When I say Open Mac Forums (the command I gave it) safari opens a new page, but its blank with nothing in the address bar. At the bottom it says "failed to open page (See Activity window for details)

From here I am clueless.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
webloc

I found the answer to this question on the Apple site. Sorry I don't have the link, but the solution is simple. When you type the word or phrase you will speak, add (dot) webloc to the end. When you speak the command, you will only use the word or phrase and leave off the (dot) webloc.

For Example:
Where it says "When I say"

You will type "Yahoo Mail.webloc"
You will say "Yahoo Mail"

It seems odd that this is necessary but left out of the instructions. I hope Apple will fix this problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thaks for posting that. I've played with speakable items a bit and was racking my brain trying to remember the answer. The speakabke items feature has been around for a looong time (sometime in System 7). I hope they add some good improvements soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.