Mac Web Design Software?

S

Swerb

Anyone have any reccomendations as to which ones they like?

I've found many of the mainstream wen design software programs are not Mac compatible. My local apple store carries 3-4 different programs, but they are all pretty pricy. Also, my work PC is Windows, and ideally I'd like software that would allow me to work on my site at home AND at work.

OP
S

Swerb

Vicky, thank you.

I am considering Dreamweaver and Go Live ... it's just the $400 price tag that is holding me back.

What I'm starting to realize is that if I want a decent web design program that I can use with a Mac or Windows ... I'm gonna likely have to pony up the four hundy for Dreamweaver.

It seems as if most of the free or affordable ones are all very limited, or not compatible with both operating systems.

I'm going to check out the two links you provided. Thanks again!

OP
S

Swerb

I checked out nvu.com. Looks great. Why is it free? What's the catch? What is it lacking that the $400 Dreamweaver offers?

And ... cool website. I love "The Office" ... great show!

OP
L

lil

It's like Open Office.org - very capable but free. Read the site it will give you all the info you need about why it is free and so forth and better still, give it a go and see how you get on.

Either way Dreamweaver is very good, but I just prefer to do it by hand myself as I find it quicker and have been doing it for some years now -- plus I do a lot of PHP/MySQL based stuff which is text editor only.

However I have heard good things about NVU.

Vicky

OP
S

Swerb

Vicky, I just emailed the site administrator at NVU. He responded immediately with answers to some of my questions about why it was free, and dual system capabilites.

Seems like great software, and 100% free. Thanks for the great tip.

OP
L

lil

NP :flower:

I used to get in bother at the Apple Store where i worked for telling peeps about it when we could sell them something ;)

Too much for telling the truth me :flower:

But do bear in mind, everything Dreamweaver can do, you can do too with the right knowledge and skills - XHTML/HTML isn't too hard to learn really, a good book will sort you out :flower:

Either way hope NVU does what you want it to!

Vicky

OP
S

steveedge

I mainly use Dreamwever because it is quick, however, you need BB Edit, or some other text editor, especially if you do much work with PHP or even converting Word files and other text where you want to strip the existing code out. Using a good text editor will make your life easier. :)
I also use Fetch as a stand by FTP program to change permissions or UL, DL files quickly. It's really inexpensive.
Good Luck,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Swerb said:
Vicky, I just emailed the site administrator at NVU. He responded immediately with answers to some of my questions about why it was free, and dual system capabilites.

Seems like great software, and 100% free. Thanks for the great tip.

Yeah programs like NVU and OpenOffice.org are great because they are open-source.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.