Secure delete software

Reaction score
Hi:

I am looking for the most secure software for deleting files.

I do not trust the default "Secure empty trash" because:

- It is a default feature that isn't open source (I'm not saying that the software I am looking for must be open source, I'm just saying that it would be more trustworthy for me)

- There is not enough information surrounding it (I.e, number of rewrites over)

I have been looking at "Shred" in the MAS, but I wanted to consult Mac forums before buying/trusting any particular software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
I think that is a little unfair to Apple:[
It is not so much about the software as the method used - there are various government standards for this (DOD etc.). I think the max is about 35 passes. Most software will offer you the option of how throughly you want to wipe. I believe that Apple has set its secure delete at 7 passes which is very good. As ever, there are downsides for wanting the 'most' secure - it will take a long long time and, I would guess, not be doing your hard drive much good over the long term. Once you start down that road you also need to worry about the free space on your hard drive and wiping that - pretty important for drafts and other stuff that got forgotten, back ups etc. Apple also help with that as Disc Utility will wipe free space - once again a range from 0 (very fast) to 7 wipes (going to take a while). Another trouble once you start downloading programs to help - if the data is that sensitive what do you really know about the company you are downloading from? Maybe the built in tools are safer. Of course if you really want to be sure, physically destroy your hard drive:D
IMHO I'd stay with secure empty trash, if you really need more then the processes involved to be really sure will need more than a single program...

OP
R
Reaction score
I think that is a little unfair to Apple:[
It is not so much about the software as the method used - there are various government standards for this (DOD etc.). I think the max is about 35 passes. Most software will offer you the option of how throughly you want to wipe. I believe that Apple has set its secure delete at 7 passes which is very good. As ever, there are downsides for wanting the 'most' secure - it will take a long long time and, I would guess, not be doing your hard drive much good over the long term. Once you start down that road you also need to worry about the free space on your hard drive and wiping that - pretty important for drafts and other stuff that got forgotten, back ups etc. Apple also help with that as Disc Utility will wipe free space - once again a range from 0 (very fast) to 7 wipes (going to take a while). Another trouble once you start downloading programs to help - if the data is that sensitive what do you really know about the company you are downloading from? Maybe the built in tools are safer. Of course if you really want to be sure, physically destroy your hard drive:D
IMHO I'd stay with secure empty trash, if you really need more then the processes involved to be really sure will need more than a single program...

I just dropped $4 for some mac app store software

How can it be bad for your HD?

C

chas_m

Personally, I'd re-examine my life in order to better understand why I'm so paranoid about my files that I feel I need to go to these extremes. That's just me of course.

OP
R
Reaction score
Personally, I'd re-examine my life in order to better understand why I'm so paranoid about my files that I feel I need to go to these extremes. That's just me of course.

Because it is fun?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.