Does such a text editor exist?

Reaction score
I am looking for a decent text editor that has the following:

- Tabs for open documents.
- Tree view side bar.
- Syntax highlighting for major languages.
- Line numbers
- Intelligent auto-formatting*
- Persistant code collapsing (so if I collapse code and then close and open the same document, the code is still collapsed)

Preferably:
- Able to login to my server via SSH and edit files directly on there.

* I want it to format my code/text such that if it exceeds 80 characters it puts the text automatically on a new line and indents it automatically. For instance if I was doing HTML:

Code:
     <p>This is the sentence.</p>

...I'm now editing that sentence and it will be longer than 80 chars so it does this:

Code:
     <p>
        This is the sentence. I have no added some extra text jazz. Pretend this is longer
        than 80 chars and it goes on a new line
     </p>

Or if I was doing javascript, this:

Code:
   myVar += areallylongvariablename + anotherreallylongvariablename + "Some more stuff";

would go to:

Code:
    myVar += areallylongvariablename + anotherreallylongvariablename +
             "Some more stuff";

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure if it meets all of those requirements but have you looked at TextWrangler? I know that it meets at least half of those.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might also take a look at Smultron 4 in the Mac App store. Version 4 is only for Lion but there are earlier versions available if you're using Leopard or Snow Leopard.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm willing to bet that you could do most of that with Vim and a well designed vimrc file. The little bit that you can't do with vimrc can probably be accomplished with Vim commands. For instance, here's an example of doing code folding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.