Safari: Open new tabs like in Firefox?

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac, switched from a PC where I exclusively used Firefox as a web browser. I'm getting the hang of Safari now (I know I can use Firefox on this Mac but I'd rather just use what it came with, if possible). While using Firefox, I got extremely used to being able to middle click a link, thumbnail, etc. and have it open it in a new tab. Now I have the Magic Mouse, and I have set it up so that a three finger tap on the surface emulates a middle click. My problem is, I don't know how to set middle click to open link in new tab in Safari! I looked in the system prefs for Safari and couldn't find a place to set up shortcuts like this.
Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Hi and welcome Rhypt. It's a doddle in Safari too: CMD+T to open a new (blank) tab, or CMD+click to open a link in a new tab.

Enjoy!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! I know about the CMD shortcuts to do that stuff, what I was wondering is if I can set my middle click to open links in a new tab, as it does in Firefox.

Reaction score
When I do it I just right-click it (tap it with two fingers on my trackpad). Like I highlight the link if it's not already all blue and underlined, and then right-click so it comes up with the little list of things you can do it with it, and select "open in new tab".
Hope that's what you were looking for :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Bear with me Rhypt I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do. Launch Safari and open its preferences (from the Safari menu pr by pressing Command+.). Click on the icon labeled "Tabs" From there you can control whether or not Safari opens new windows in tabs.

Pay particular attention to the setting that says "Open in Tabs Instead of Windows". The drop down menu gives three options which can be further customized/modified using command clicks. With these options set clicking most links should open them in tabs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.