How does PC user open a web page I send them as an email attachment.

Reaction score
I've sent a web page that I've developed using iWeb to two people. The attachments were a folder of files and the page html. Both people tell me that when they click on the folder, their PC asks them what app to use to open it.

Any ideas?

I also sent it to myself, and my iMac just got on with it, no question asked!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I suppose that it depends on how they want to look at it. If they want to use the rendered page, then IE, Firefox, or any other web browser. If you sent it to look at the code, then they can open it in notepad.

Bill

Reaction score
Just tried a little test between my iMac and my Windows PC. The Mac got the attachment just as I sent it, a folder full of files. The Windows PC got the attachment as a ZIP file. So when your Windows recipients go to open the attachment, they are probably being asked what program to open the ZIP file with. Which is also weird because Windows can natively handle ZIP files, so I'm not really sure what's going on here.

OP
R
Reaction score
Interesting! Just sent it to my daughter's PC and am visiting tonight so I'll see for myself!

OP
R
Reaction score
Hmmm. Files arrived on daughter's PC zipped. However, even when unzipped and opened, the htmp file still did not find the images and pics.

So, it seems that on a Mac, the process of opening the html links it somehow to the associated files, but that doesn't happen on a PC.

Anyone know how to overcome this?

Reaction score
The html files should be able to access the images and any other files as long as the original directory structure remains intact. There's nothing different about the way Windows or Mac computers render HTML, that is handled by the browser. You may be experiencing a browser incompatibility with your web pages, however something as basic as rendering an image is usually pretty universal no matter what browser you're using.

When you say the html file can't find the images, does the rest of the page load, just not the images?

C

chas_m

Are you "publishing" the page in iWeb to a folder, and then sending them that folder?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Chas,

Yes, publishing, then saving to desktop as full webpage (from my Firefox browser) then attaching the html file and the folder of files to the email.

As I say earlier, I'm sending it to my own Mac as well as the friends' PCs and I can open it fine on my machine.

C

chas_m

I don't understand the part about "saving to desktop as a full webpage from my Firefox browser."

In iWeb, publish to a folder. Zip the folder. Send the folder. Don't do anything else.

OP
R
Reaction score
OK, so I'm looking at the page I want to send using Firefox. The only option in Firefox for sending a web page is to 'send link', but that will not work because the web page only exists on my hard drive. So, I used one of the 'save' options whic is to save as 'Web Page Complete'. When I do that, I get two objects saved, one is the html, the other is a folder of files asociated with that page. I then attach these two objects to the email and send it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.