external harddrive not visible on desktop

3LS

Reaction score
it is a new MacBookPro with Lion....I can see the external hard drive on the desktop (however I can see on the finder). What to do?
I am new to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help!
L.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Click on the Finder "preferences", click on the "general" tab. Place a check in the box that says "External disks" under the title "Show these items on the Desktop".

OP

3LS

Reaction score
Thanks...and another question...

Thank you! It helped. Now I have a slightly different problem. In my previous mac when I used to lounge iPhoto or iTunes, the app would immediately connect to my external harddrive (which is where I keep my pics and music) and then show me all the files. In my new Mac iTunes and iPhoto are not automatically doing that (and I understand it should not), but how do I configure it in such a way that it does that?
Many thanks,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I am understanding the problem correctly adding the hard drive to your login items should make the drive available for iTunes and iPhoto. Make sure the drive is connected and powered on. Then go into the Accounts preference pane and select "Login Items". Click the plus sign and add the drive to the login items.

This mounts the drive at every login whether you will be using those programs or not. I used to run an Automator workflow that I ran by double clicking it. The workflow attempted to connect with my library then launched iTunes. I used it with a Time Capsule but I bet a similar procedure would work with an external drive.

OP

3LS

Reaction score
Thanks. All I want is that when I lounge iTunes or iPhoto that it looks for the library in my external harddrive. it is not doing that now. Most of the time I do not have the external hard drive connected to the mac. Only when I need to use iTunes or iPhoto and to search other files + time machine. In the suggestion you are giving me here, is that what will happen? I am not sure what you mean by "every log in", do you mean every log in of iTunes or iPhoto? is it the same as lounging? I may just be lost in translation here. Apologies.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
By login I mean each time you start your user account. It would not matter what you are planning to do on the computer. If you only want to look for the drive when using iTunes or iPhoto don't add the drive to your login items. It sounds like you only want to look for the drive when you launch iTunes or iPhoto.

I can't test the Automator workflow at the moment to see if it could be modified to work with an external drive but I might be able to test it later today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.