Camera app and pulsating bars

Reaction score
For the past 2 days I have noticed something weird with my iPhone 4s camera. Whenever I want to take a picture, I see these red pulsating vertical bars running across the screen. When I actually take a snap, the resultant picture will have these bars running across it.

Sometimes these bars will disappear after a few seconds and then I can take pictures normally. On other occasions they persist and I can't take pictures without those pesky bars. I have tried powering off and then on again but to no avail.

It happens to the ios5's default camera app and other 3rd party camera apps as well. What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Can you take a screenshot of the phone when this happens and upload it?

Screenshot is taken by hitting lock and home button at the same time.

@Chas_m I don't think the flash being covered would have anything to do with it.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
My iphone is naked. I will try to get a screen capture when it happens the next time. Sometimes it is too brief to do it but there was a time when it just persisted for minutes until I closed the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Which third party camera apps have you installed?

I would suggest deleting them and then resetting the phone to eliminate them as a possible cause.

I've tried replicating your problem with different light sources and conditions to no avail.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
Which third party camera apps have you installed?

I would suggest deleting them and then resetting the phone to eliminate them as a possible cause.

I've tried replicating your problem with different light sources and conditions to no avail.

Camera awesome, camera +, instagram and path with its own camera app built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
If it was me, I would..

Reset the phone by pressing and holding the sleep/wake button and the home button together for 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.Then monitor the situation.

If it still persists remove one app first. I would remove the others one by one and reset the phone if the problems still exists.

If Path has it's own camera app built in can you turn it off or will the app not work without it, or does it conflict with the iPhone if both camera apps are enabled?

I guess you would have to balance the cost of the apps and which you use the most against having the phone functioning properly.

Last resort would be to restore your phone to factory settings I guess but don't go this route until you've exhausted all possibilities in my opinion.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
Thanks for all the sound advice. Will report back when I have sorted out the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.