Bad HardDrive

zks

Reaction score
Help! :(

My system/boot HD is damaged... I can not start my Mac os from it. I did some Utilities checks and The partition with System/boot (disk1s2) is unrepairable :( (it is grey)!. I instal MAC OS X 10.4 on the other partition (disk1s3) but My Mac does not start from this partition. :( what i need to do else!? How van i erase disk1s2?. Or WHAT I NEED TO DO to save this 1 TB Hard Drive!?

Thanks for any Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For help tell us about your Mac.

For help tell us if you have the system install DVD or the operating system DVD.

So little information.

OP
Z

zks

Reaction score
Mac OS X 10.4.10

Mac PRO.... HD is is w/ two partitions ... firts one is not repairable... I have MAC OS Instal Disk1 and 2. I used Diskutility to repair but w/o any success. Disk can not be repaired :(. I tryed to instal MAC OS on the second partition, everyting went nice but after restarting, again NOTNING... Grey screen w/:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x003AB787): Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace, Format-Frame; Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x47f43df8
Kernel Version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.2: Web Jun 20 .......

Thanks!

OP
Z

zks

Reaction score
Verify Disk Permissions

Ehen I try VD Permissions I got this message:

Disk Utility internal error. D U has lost its connection with the Disk Management Tool and can not continue.

I stop and relunch... twice... the same!
What is Wrong?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Disk Utility did not repair thus you have a dead hard drive. Time for a new one. As a last resort, you have an OS on a second partition, try booting and holding down the Option key in order to see if you can access this partition. If this works, go to System preferences > Startup Disk and select that partition by clicking on it.

OP
Z

zks

Reaction score
Disk Utility did not repair thus you have a dead hard drive. Time for a new one. As a last resort, you have an OS on a second partition, try booting and holding down the Option key in order to see if you can access this partition. If this works, go to System preferences > Startup Disk and select that partition by clicking on it.

I did that and after restarting I got the same Grey screen w/ ? mark. I did Disk Utility check and there is no more HD info (like before w two partitions)... only my DVD w/ OS Instalation disk!... Deffinetly dead HD, correct?!.... :(

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yep. The screen with a ? on startup means it can't find an OS to boot and load.

OP
Z

zks

Reaction score
Solved!

Thanks a lot for all Help,
I order a new HD! :( !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.