Buy now or wait?

Reaction score
I'm not very up-to-date on the rumour mill for Macbooks. I realize that there are rumours floating around right now about a new iPad... haven't heard much about Macbooks, though.

But I may be getting a new laptop very soon (my old 2008 Macbook is... growing weary).

Probably getting a Macbook Pro.

I could get one as soon as two weeks from now (my parents might get one for my birthday, since I've needed a new laptop for a few months) - but I don't want to get one just yet if, say, there's talk of a new Macbook Pro coming out in June.

Any knowledge on this front? Any opinions on whether it's worth waiting? I realize that everything's obsolete before you even buy it, but, in general...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I say wait. Keep using that 2008 MacBook until around 2020!;)

By that time you will REALLY need an upgrade...and won't care if something new is going to be released in 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months from then.;)

- Nick

p.s. The real answer is...we get asked this question 100's and 100's of times. And the answer always is...we have no crystal ball to predict the future. If we could know the future...we would be using that skill for much more IMPORTANT things!;)

Reaction score
Wait, if you had no computer then fair enough, but i'm sure you can coax a few more months out of your current machine and wait for the Ivy Bridge machines to be released.

Whilst the desire to buy something new and shiny now is always strong, in the long run you'll regret it for the sake of holding out for a few months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
As I've said before:

Do you need a new computer now?
Yes: Buy a new computer now.
No: wait until you need a new computer.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you can wait then wait. If you need it now then you need it now. That simple. :D

Reaction score
Devil's advocate for reflection...

I too am in this boat and might offer a couple of thoughts.

First, not only is Ivy Bridge speculated to be included in the next MBP update, but the buzz is a super hi-def retina display, a thinner, lighter "Air-like" physical design AND a possible new OS, Mountain Lion. It looks like to me to be major, sweeping changes in the next update. What are the chances of Apple getting it all right without gliches, bugs and beach balls? I dunno, but I am rooting for them as they will be the latest cutting edge designs. I will be really seriously interested in generation 2 of these designs...

The latest designs are mature, pretty much bug-free with OS Lion pretty well figured out. I personally value, trouble-free operation without issues.

Apple's SSDs are expensive and the Apple RAM upgrade is borderline outrageously priced. If so inclined, an idea might be to buy a new standard MBP and use it as is and/or install the upgrades of RAM and/or SSD with after market suppliers like OWC or Crucial if desired. But they will be larger and heavier than the coming newer designs.

A couple pros/cons ideas in support of both buying or waiting...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A couple pros/cons ideas in support of both buying or waiting...

There's always "pros and cons"...that's why waiting is so unpredictable/difficult!;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!! I realize nobody really knows...

But I thought I may as well ask, and see if there was some sort of announcement about which I wasn't aware, that might possibly help me navigate the pros and cons.

And now, thanks to this thread, I know that Ivy Bridge is (eventually) coming. Hadn't even heard of it prior.

So - thanks! Certainly inspiration to hold off for a bit.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!! I realize nobody really knows...

But I thought I may as well ask, and see if there was some sort of announcement about which I wasn't aware, that might possibly help me navigate the pros and cons.

And now, thanks to this thread, I know that Ivy Bridge is (eventually) coming. Hadn't even heard of it prior.

So - thanks! Certainly inspiration to hold off for a bit.

If the rumors are true I'd think about buying now as the new models may be slightly faster but they will also be more limited in what you can upgrade and where you can buy those upgrades from.

But if you wait I'm sure you would be able to buy a leftover late 2011 just after the newer ones come out.

OP
R
Reaction score
If the rumors are true I'd think about buying now as the new models may be slightly faster but they will also be more limited in what you can upgrade and where you can buy those upgrades from.

But if you wait I'm sure you would be able to buy a leftover late 2011 just after the newer ones come out.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about upgrading, to be honest... and considering how dependent I am on my Mac for school and such - not to mention, sadly, everything else, in that 21-st century way we're all glued to our computers - I don't know how inclined I'd be to do any self-upgrading.

However, you do raise a good point - late 2011 Macbooks will almost certainly still be floating around for at least a while once the announcement happens... And then I can take the time to consider both of them once fully aware of what they both offer. But I'll have to think fast, lest I decide to get an old one and they aren't available anymore...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.