• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MKV files

Reaction score
My friend recently gave me a file that I cannot read. It is a .mkv file and I am trying to find a mac compatible program that will read .mkv files
Any help would be helpful.

OP
O
Reaction score
i already have VLC, but an recurring error happens, I need a different one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well those are the only two players that http://www.matroska.org/, who develops the .mkv format, list so I guess you are out of luck

OP
O
Reaction score
darn, I was hoping that there might be something else

Reaction score
my VLc also gives this error whenever i play an mkv file..
"ffmpeg: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)"
i have a 24" 2.4 ghz imac with 4.0 gb ram..

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Did you try Quicktime Pro or iTunes, im sure i viewed a .mkv file with one or both of those!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
What crappy suggestions uptil now. The ultimate for playing MKV files is download Perian codecs (www.perian.org) and play em with quicktime. It does have the loading time issue. However, you can get rid of that if you intend on playing the video again. Just hit file > save as once the video loads. Then save it as a self contained movie.

[I see this is a very old thread]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.