will this be okay for ssd as main drive ?

R

ramram55

i have a mid 2010 macbook pro that has 320gb hd, would like to replace with 120gb owc ssd drive, since i notice my current hard drive has only 28gb usage, I just need to use this mbp for surfing internet and email, this is it. is this okay with ssd ?

Reaction score
I believe the OWC drives use internals from multiple manufacturers. Therefore you don't know what you're getting and i seem to recall a recent thread where someone had issues with compatibility with one of these drives in an MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

That 28GB is about standard usage and it appears you are not heavily into music or photography so by all means go ahead and enjoy an OWC SSD. Have used a couple of OWC SSD with no problems whatsoever, but if you want to hear a rant, ask about Kingston and Falcon G.Skill drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm currently running a 60GB OWC SSD, plus a 500GB HDD. I can fit the system, any applications and my home folder on the 60GB with about 25GB free. But all my media (photo library, music library, and Steam games) all reside on the 500GB HDD.

You shouldn't have any issues with a 120GB SSD, unless you start to get large media libraries.

OP
R

ramram55

thanks to all.
now the start, will the used owc i bought with enclosure, how to wipe clean ssd ?

(1) using lion install usb to install osx,
what about existing applications and home folders, how to transfer over to the ssd ?
(2) How to test if the external ssd is working before install as internal drive ? boot using 'option' key ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay pop in the SSD and connect enclosure to computer, connect up your thumb drive, boot and hold down the 'C' button, leave Installer and go to Utilities and choose the SSD and erase, selecting Mac OS Extended (Journalled), into Partition > Options and make sure GUID is selected, back to Installer, and proceed. Existing files etc can be transferred over using Migration Assistant in utilities.

Then power down, reboot holding down Option key and select the SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple. Do not clone SSD. Do a clean install and update using Migration Assistant,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.