Mystery Residue on logic board...source of my problems?

Reaction score
I posted here a few days ago about a RAM upgrade to stop crashes. Well after upgrading, which made my system very fast (still prone to crashing), I noticed residue on some parts of my logic board and a few cables. I go to school out of state from home, but after consulting my family I found out my sister owned up to spilling diet coke on my macbook (when I was home for break) but cleaning it up. (which probably means wiped with a towel). I would have taken the steps stated in the sticky thread if I had known. I'm pretty furious as I'm almost sure this is the source of the kernal_task crashes. Anyways...a logic board repair from ifixit.com could push me to $1000 (I'm perfectly comfortable doing the repair myself, NOT comfortable with the price!). Does Apple have any sympathy for these kind of issues, and is there any steps they could take for even doing the logic board repair for less? Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does Apple have any sympathy for these kind of issues, and is there any steps they could take for even doing the logic board repair for less? Thanks for your help.

Apple will charge you for a new logic board + labor. So, no sympathy there.

What you might want to do since the machine seems to be working (with kernel panics) is to take it apart yourself and clean everything you can to remove all the residue. Coke is extremely bad because of the sugary content and the fact that it contains acid.

If after your cleaning efforts, the machine still is not working right, you might then think about sending it out to have it repaired. In the back of MacWorld Magazine and MacLife Magazine are advertisements for logic board replacement and repair. Most have an 800 number you can call and get a price estimate.

In the meantime here are some links that might help:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

iPhone 4S Repair | iPad Repair | MacBook Pro Screen/Glass, iPod Repair

Good luck with the repairs and let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you suggest using damp cotton swabs/balls and alcohol to clean the residue off...and that being said there is a chance that with the residue gone it will stop crashing? It only crashes during heavier use. Additionally is it necessary to take the logic board off and clean the underside...I doubt anything got under there. and just to clarify this is more than likely the source of my kernal panics?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, you need to tear that baby apart completely and likewise get at the underside of the logic board. And... do not use alcohol as it can destroy plastic parts and damage traces. Use clean distilled water if available and lint free clothes or hospital swabs.

As far as whether or not the cleaning will stop the kernel panics, you'll just have to chance it and see. Kernel panics are generally caused by hardware glitches or failures. Lots of work to do a thorough cleaning but it might just pay off and save you big $$. The ifixit web site is a great site to use because they have detailed take apart instructions you can download and print out.

Oh, and make sure you have a good tool set with the proper drivers (torx, phillips, hex, etc.). Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
The residue left behind probably has nothing to do with the crashes. It is the damage caused by what left the residue that is more then likely causing the crashes. I'm surprised the system is still functioning at all as it seems that Apple logic boards fail at even the least bit of moisture exposure.

Cleaning it probably won't help but if you do try to clean it use isopropyl alcohol at 90%.

OP
S
Reaction score
I ordered the tools and should have it done this weekend so we will see. If not then looks like im forking out $900 for a nice logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Good luck on the repair - I had to clean a logic board once of an older Powerbook - wasn't fun. If it doesn't work, you may want to get your sister to at least pay for some of the repairs since she spilled the drink.... harsh yes, but might make her think before drinking / eating next to equipment that doesn't belong to her...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.