Driver in i Mac for HP Laserjet 1000?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27", 3.2 GHz, i5, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR 3, R9 M380 2048 MB
My switch to iMac has gone really smoothly, with the Migration assistant doing a great job. But connecting the printer did not automatically produce any wizard for installation. In the general list of drivers there´s only one for HPLaserjet, and it seemed to be accepted.
When printing a page, though, I am informed that the text cannot be sent from the machine to the printer, and that´s as far as I get. HP´s home pages do not offer any alternative drives as far as I can see.
My printer is a few years old, but functions perfectly, and I find it difficult to believe that should´t continue to work for me...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use the "Open Printer" driver from here.

Note that you'll have to download several files so that it will work. Read all the instructions first.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for a quick answer. Being completely new to OS X, and what looks like DOS-information to me, those instructions were difficult to follow. Hopefully, there is an easier way? But I shall keep trying....

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for another suggestion. Excellent link! Looked very promising, but still got the same message with the suggested driver (1022). Also tried 1010 with the same result. My printer is called hp LaserJet 1000 series.
Any suggestions which driver to use?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My printer is called hp LaserJet 1000 series. Any suggestions which driver to use?

Sorry to tell you, but the only driver that is going to work to get that printer going is the Open Printing Linux driver that I linked you to previously. Either that or install Windows on your Mac. There are Windows drivers for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sorry to tell you, but the only driver that is going to work to get that printer going is the Open Printing Linux driver that I linked you to previously. Either that or install Windows on your Mac. There are Windows drivers for it.

Yep, this is one of those printers HP made that doesn't even bother to support PCL (which HP developed and fully owns), making it largely a Windows only printer.. with some non-standard support for other OS's (the previously mentioned driver). Make no mistake though, that was all HP's decision.

Reaction score
I remember looking at that printer when it was new. I almost bought a 1020 but found only the 1022 to be Mac-compatible. Use another OS or swap your printer.

This isn't exclusive to the Mac. HP was making printers incapable of being used under DOS in the mid-1990s. Granted, DOS was nearly dead by then, but there were still people who used WordPerfect 5.1 on occasion back then (I was one such user--there's nothing better than using "reveal codes" for documents which must be formatted to a "T").

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok - thanks for all your answers, I have given in and invested in a new HP laser jet P1102. And it worked right away. Fortunately, I know a person who can use the old, and still very good, LaserJet on a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.