Adding Old emails to a new mailbox from Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PPC Dual 2 gig 6gig ram 10.5.3 and a G4 Mirror Door dual 1.25 2 gig ram
Hi, I have used a USB key to transfer emails from a PC to my friend's all Black Macbook and they are safely on the desktop of the Macbook running 10.6.
My friend has created a mailbox in Mail and wants to get these old emails from the desktop into the said mailbox under "On My Mac" heading.
I tried to drag them in, copy them over, all to no avail.
I thought if I found where the On My Mac lives I can put them in there and then start Mail and they would appear, can't find where "On My Mac" is on the machine, if anyone knows how I can get these emails into a Mail mailbox I'd be grateful . . short of sending them individually to myself and forwarding them on to this mail account of course :) Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to export the email messages from Outlook Express or Outlook (whichever your friend is using) on the PC. You can not bare copy email messages to the Mac desktop and import them into the Mail program. There are conversion programs that will convert the exported email on the PC to a format that can be imported into the Mail program.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PPC Dual 2 gig 6gig ram 10.5.3 and a G4 Mirror Door dual 1.25 2 gig ram
Thanks very much Chscag, the emails are on Windows Live, but are POP3 at least and not imap. I tried to export, copy and archive, but now I realize I need a little application to do a conversion. Thank you for your time and help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.