Upgrade to Lion?

Reaction score
I have thought about upgrading to Lion from SL but cannot at this time due to finances. However I may move to Mountain Lion, Cheetah, Bobcat, or whatever cat names the next Oses will be. The issue I have is that I would need to upgrade Office, and Quicken. Office 04 & Quicken 06 work fine for my needs so there is no rush to upgrade. However when I do upgrade (as I get the finances) would Lion, or Mountain Lion require me to upgrade my bootcamp partition to Windows Vista or 7? I am using XP and it works well for my limited needs.

John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion means that all your PPC software (Office 2004, etc) will no longer work. However, if you already have XP running on a Boot Camp partition, it will continue to work OK. If you buy a new Mac then you will need at a minimum Windows 7.

C

chas_m

I have thought about upgrading to Lion from SL but cannot at this time due to finances.

Without intending any comment on your finances, you do know that Lion is $29, right?

However I may move to Mountain Lion

Successfully predicted! Well done!

The issue I have is that I would need to upgrade Office, and Quicken. Office 04 & Quicken 06 work fine for my needs so there is no rush to upgrade.

Intuit has said that they will be releasing a Lion-compatible version of Quicken 2007 in the spring (which is bound to be Mountain Lion-compatible), so on that one I'd just wait and buy the "new" one outright. Office you will either need to upgrade or jump ship to the iWork suite (cheaper and mostly better IMHO, but different strokes etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.