Mac Mini system install issue

Reaction score
Hi

I'm after for some advice. I was trying to sell my old mac mini (Jan 2005 version) and wanted to reset it back to factory settings. I inserted my version of Mac OS X Tiger and restarted the mac using the C key. I then opened disk utilities and erased the hard drive - Big Error! When i went to install the OS Tiger the system kept saying I needed OS X 10.3 to install which I don't now have. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get out of this predicament?

Thanks

Andy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When i went to install the OS Tiger the system kept saying I needed OS X 10.3 to install which I don't now have. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get out of this predicament?

Yes, you need to buy a copy of Panther. Check on eBay for a copy but make sure it's the retail version not a machine specific version. You should be able to find a copy that's not expensive. You can always include that along with the Tiger disk when you sell the machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks - Have I wiped all applications off though now or will they still be on the machine?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi

I'm after for some advice. I was trying to sell my old mac mini (Jan 2005 version) and wanted to reset it back to factory settings. I inserted my version of Mac OS X Tiger and restarted the mac using the C key. I then opened disk utilities and erased the hard drive - Big Error! When i went to install the OS Tiger the system kept saying I needed OS X 10.3 to install which I don't now have. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get out of this predicament?

It sounds like the Tiger (OS 10.4) disk you have is an "update" or "drop-in" disk...which requires a previous version of the OS to be installed first. There really is no solution...other than to purchase a "full retail" OS install disk.

- OS 10.4 install disks are relatively hard to find...and are expensive (e-Bay, maybe $80 bucks).
- Another solution is to find a set of OS 10.3 install disks. And...if you get a OS 10.3 install disk...it needs to be OS 10.3.7 or later. Of course if you find/purchase some OS 10.3 install disks...then you can use your OS 10.4 disk to update.
- You could install OS 10.5 "Leopard"...but again these disks are pricey (e-Bay $80-$100).

Lastly...whatever you do...DON'T buy any "gray-colored" disks. These are model specific...and basically won't work. You need full install retail disks such as these in the link:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...isk-do-i-need-brief-overview.html#post1353815

OS 10.3 and 10.4 are black.

HTH,:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Everything's gone since you erased the hard drive. However, if you install Panther and afterward Tiger, all the apps that normally are included will be installed again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So i buy a copy similar to the one in the link below:-

mac os x panther v10.3.5. NEW. 2-box | eBay

Then once i have installed that load in the drop in disk and the Mac should be back to it's original condition?

Details, details, details.;) As I mentioned above...I think that the "oldest" version of 10.3 you can install on the Mac-Mini you have is 10.3.7. Therefore...10.3.5 would be slightly too old.

Please tell us what the exact model Mac-mini you have. This will help when it comes to confirming these details.:) I'm guessing you have either a Mac-mini G4 1.25ghz or 1.42ghz.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your Mini came with OS X.3.7. Still got those original install discs? If so install Panther and then use the Tiger upgrade disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.