Partition or not to partition....that is the question

Reaction score
I'm a newbie with a mac mini. My question is:

My Mac Mini doesn't have a optical drive. I made a bootable partition (GUID, 50GB) on an external hard drive so I can install Snow Leopard. Does the whole external have to be bootable in order for it to be recognized?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No.
A partition can be bootable, and a single disk can have multiple partitions.
OS X will recognize partitions at the OS level , bootable or not.
OS X ( Disk Utility ) will recognize disks at the hardware level, partitioned or not.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because, when I press the Alt key, (Microsoft Keyboard). a dropdown list shows no bootable device. That tells me that I have no internal hard drive installed. Wouldn't the external hard drive still show in the list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
In what application are you pressing the ALT key ....
Are you running the OS X disk utility ? Is you external disk visible in Disk Utility ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
There isn't any OS that I can see. When I turn on the mini, I press the Alt key and that shows what bootable devices are available. Mine doesn't show anything, not even the external with the bootable partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.