Password protecting Wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I'm using an old Linksys wireless router that only has WEP security but the manual says:
NOTE: The WEP Passphrase is compatible with Linksys wireless products only. If you are use non- Linksys products, manually enter the appropriate WEP key on those devices.

I've tried to set up a password in the router but, presumably as explained in the above note, it's not recognised from the iMac.

If I have a logon password for my iMac will that prevent anybody trying to use my wifi to access my iMac?

If not what does it mean 'manually enter the WEP key'? Is this one of the 4 long numbers, each marked Keys 1-4 generated when the password is set up?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The simple answer to your question is - it's time to buy a new router.

WEP is so hopelessly outdated and insecure that even with 128-bit encryption, it's easily cracked within 60 seconds and can be done with readily available tools that can be executed by the average 13-year-old.

WPA long ago superseded WEP and even the lowliest $50 wireless routers support WPA and will outperform routers of that vintage in just about every measurable way.

Advising you otherwise would be doing you a disservice, not only in wasting your time, but also creating a false sense of security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just so I know where you're up to:

1. you've connected to the router with an ethernet cable to your Mac.
2. you've logged into the router, entered your own wifi password
3. you've disconnected the ethernet cable
4. You've detected the wireless network on your Mac and tried to connect enter the password you selected earlier
5. Do you get an error? 'cannot join network' or similar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As cwa107 suggests, a new router would seem to be the best option. Not only is WEP woefully outdated and inherently weak but many modern devices simply struggle to connect to wireless networks 'secured' by WEP

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

4. You've detected the wireless network on your Mac and tried to connect enter the password you selected earlier

With routers of this vintage, it was not uncommon for them to use a proprietary algorithm for developing a "passphrase" instead of having to enter a 26-character encryption key at the client.

Assuming the router and the wireless adapter for the client were of the same brand, they would use the same proprietary algorithm and in-turn, the user could relatively easily connect to the wireless network using a passphrase instead of a huge key that was easy to typo on.

What the OP needs to do is instead use the 26-digit key as the passphrase won't be valid on the Mac, which isn't using that same algorithm. But rather than waste their time doing that, they really should just buy a router that has effective security (and is a heck of a lot easier to use).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks. Yes.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None of your preferred networks are available

WEP is so hopelessly outdated and insecure that even with 128-bit encryption, it's easily cracked within 60 seconds and can be done with readily available tools that can be executed by the average 13-year-old.

WPA long ago superseded WEP and even the lowliest $50 wireless routers support WPA and will outperform routers of that vintage in just about every measurable way.

Advising you otherwise would be doing you a disservice, not only in wasting your time, but also creating a false sense of security.

I have now bought a new wi-fi router and it is using WPA. My iMac is fine with it but, for some reason, my wife's comes up with a message "None of your preferred networks are available" prompting her to rejoin the network.

I had thought that this might be connected to the fact that her login password had to be re-entered after an hour so I unticked that. As she is still getting the message there must be some other reason. Buffalo technical support say it's nothing to do with the router.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cannot join network

I have now bought a new wi-fi router and it is using WPA. My iMac is fine with it but, for some reason, my wife's comes up with a message ' Cannot join network' prompting her to rejoin.

I had thought that this might be connected to the fact that her login password had to be re-entered after an hour so I unticked that. As she is still gettting the message there must be some other reason. Buffalo technical support say it's nothing to do with the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is this another iMac (which model/OS)?

Have you used the same name for the network as your previous router? If so I'd suggest deleting that network name from the second iMac, reboot and reconnect afresh

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Issue resolved

So is this another iMac (which model/OS)?

Have you used the same name for the network as your previous router? If so I'd suggest deleting that network name from the second iMac, reboot and reconnect afresh

Thanks, with help from Apple technical support it's been resolved by deleting all previous networks including 2 for the new router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.