Any advice to clean my logic board without Apple voiding my applecare?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I spilt some water on my 2011 Macbook Pro yesterday, everything seemed fine before I turned off and flipped upside down but I'd like to have a look at the logic board and stop any signs of corrosion before it gets a hold.

You can see evidence of the water on the underneath of the logic board when it trickled through and i'd like to take the logic board out and give it a clean where I know some of the water damage could be more problematic eventually.

My question is, is it possible to take the logic board out without Apple knowing? I'm thinking if I take it in to them they'll be able to tell it's had water damage even if the LSIs weren't triggered in its current state. But if I can clean up any signs of water damage from the logic board then I might have a functioning macbook in the future, and any unrelated problems could still be covered by applecare..

And yes I know this post will rile some and is against Apple's rules. But i'm stretched financially right now and can't afford the anticipated tier IV water repair bill! Need this computer to work for the next few years.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is, is it possible to take the logic board out without Apple knowing? I'm thinking if I take it in to them they'll be able to tell it's had water damage even if the LSIs weren't triggered in its current state. But if I can clean up any signs of water damage from the logic board then I might have a chance to use my applecare in the future...? And most importantly have a functioning macbook.

I'm pretty sure your Applecare is already voided since the moisture indicators have most likely already been triggered.

And yes I know this post will rile some and is against Apple's rules.

Of course fraud is wrong...and you know it!

But i'm stretched financially right now and can't afford the anticipated tier IV water repair bill! Need this computer to work for the next few years.

- Who isn't stretched financially??
- When is it ever a good time to un-expectantly have to replace an expensive item like a laptop computer??
- When did being stretched financially make fraud...or other criminal behavior acceptable??

I'm very sorry to hear about the damage to your 2011 MacBook Pro...but having ANY liquids near a laptop computer...is a bad bad idea!

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes admittedly, you are right, on all fronts.

This is my fourth mac, and I've been harping onto everyone for years about drinks near computers, but for some reason yesterday I was preoccupied with something and subconsciously broke my own rule.. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

This is my fourth mac, and I've been harping onto everyone for years about drinks near computers, but for some reason yesterday I was preoccupied with something and subconsciously broke my own rule.. :'(

Do you, by any chance, have accidental damage cover on your home contents insurance?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Very sorry to hear about the liquid spill on your laptop. I know that I would be completely devastated if I (or someone else) spilt liquid on my laptop...causing it to malfunction (or not function at all).

You sound like a very computer savvy person (since you mentioned "LSI's" and warning other folks about liquids near computers)...so I know that you feel very bad as well!

Every time I read on Mac-Forums about a person that has had a computer/liquid mishap...I redouble my efforts to NOT drink near my laptops..or have my laptop near a liquid source.

For years I've been "nagging" my wife to not drink near her laptops as well...and not she is also a big follower of "Don't drink near the laptop!!!"...rule!:) She's even now "nagging" me about it if she suspects that I may be bringing a drink too close to a laptop (hers or mine)!;)

Of course accidents do happen...even to the best of us!;)

Laptop computers are just too expensive to replace unnecessarily. I'm SUPER DUPER careful keeping liquids away from my laptops...but who knows...one of these days I will have an accident (I just won't tell anyone)...since I would be too embarrassed (and MAD)!!!;)

Good luck...let's hope that you can get your laptop running normally again!:)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, yes me too, is currently sitting in the sun with it's back cover off (it's sunny in London today) and will sit in a container filled with rice tonight.. If it ever does happen to you or anyone else, remember when you're holding your Macbook upside down shaking it, not to press the power button accidentally! (like I did, twice).

Good point on the home insurance, hadn't thought of that, have been paying it all these years and forgot it could actually be used in these instances!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it ever does happen to you or anyone else, remember when your holding your Macbook upside down shaking it, not to press the power button accidentally! (like I did, twice).

Another good reminder is to IMMEDIATELY remove the battery (if it happens to be a Mac laptop with a removable battery)...a downside to newer Mac laptops with the non-user removable battery.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.