Will my macbook pro utilize 16g RAM?

Reaction score
I have just purchased two 8 gigabyte sticks for my late 2011 2.3 ghz intel core i5 early 2011 macbook pro. Unfortunately, I checked the apple website after purchasing it, only to discover that my macbook will apparently only support 8 gigabytes. Although, the website from which I purchased (crucial.com) garuntees that my macbook will support this upgrade, as well as many other websites. Some friends have been telling me that my macbook will run just fine with this upgrade, but it will not utilize all the RAM, since the motherboard only supports 8 gigabytes. Someone please help.

thanks

corina

OP
C
Reaction score

Do you think its worth it for me to have purchased 16 gigabytes, though? I am an audio production student and I use Pro tools and many plug ins often, but, from my understanding, Pro Tools will still only use up to 8 gigabytes. Will I ever utilize my 16?

Reaction score
Personally I doubt you will ever use all 16GBs of RAM unless you are running a bunch of programs and or 2 or 3 virtual machines at the same time.

Maybe if you were running some video editing software but for audio I doubt that is RAM hungry.

Can it hurt to have extra RAM available, No it can't. But for the cost difference between 8GBs, -50$, and 16GBs, somewhere over $200 normally at this time, I certainly would make due with 8GBs. Which is what I put in my MBP.

Since you already have it then you could afford it, somehow, so just pop it in and forget about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Do you think its worth it for me to have purchased 16 gigabytes, though? I am an audio production student and I use Pro tools and many plug ins often, but, from my understanding, Pro Tools will still only use up to 8 gigabytes. Will I ever utilize my 16?

Probably not the full 16 ever, but it's always nice to have. If Pro Tools is using 8GB, the other 8GB can be used for whatever other applications you have running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.