Cant use 300 GB of Space on HDD!!!

Reaction score
Hey, this is really bugging me :( So I was going to try another windows os on my MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 after already having a successful bootcamp already installed, so I made a 100 GB partiton and was so excited, but I figured out that I couldn't boot from a usb, or have multiple boot camp partitons, so I deleted the partition I made and noticed I lost 100 GB of HDD Space because I couldn't resize the Macintosh HD partiton with the rest of the 100 GB I took from it earlier... so I kept trying and trying different things from verifying and repairing every disk and disk permissions I could, and rebooting many times, but no luck... so I ended up actually deleting my bootcamp (HORRIBLE IDEA) loosing everything, although I didn't have much, and I still was missing 300 GB of HDD Space because every time I go and resize the original to the full 750 GB's it completes with no errors or anything, but the disk size always stays the same at 450 GB... so I ended up reinstalling OS X Lion (ANOTHER HORRIBLE IDEA) and after about 2 1/2 hours of reinstalling and setting up, I went into disk utilities and still was missing 300 GB and I still cannot recover them... so I was wondering, how do I get it back :( I'm really upset that I cannot use this space anymore, nor can I put another partition in it's space, because when I do, it doesn't come out to being 300 GB space, instead it becomes around 800 MB of space and the rest is unusable!!! I'm really confused, so can anyone please help? It would be VERY VERY appreciated, thanks :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try resetting the PRAM? Give that a try first and then go back into Disk Utility and see if it's reporting the correct amount of drive space.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes I've already tried and nothing happened. I even just tried again, still nothing. I've really tried almost everything :( Still no luck.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm almost about to give up for right now because I accidentally ended up deleting all of my stuff again so now it just boots into the Recovery HD and it still says I only have about 450 GB of space free and it's the only partition. If I try resizing it a little it says "MediaKit reports partition (map) is too small" and if I max it out to 750 GB it says "Cannot unmount disk" yet the disk is unmounted... I feel like I corrupted it somehow by not removing the bootcamp correctly which is why I can't make the space any bigger where the bootcamp use to be, however, when I go into the terminal and try the df and diskutil commands, I can't find anything about bootcamp or something taking up all that space, so I really don't know what to do :( I hope my Mac isn't broken now :/ Please help anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, hook both Macs together in firewire Target Disk Mode and use the working Mac to erase and reformat the 750GB drive. Make sure you remove the recovery partition on the 750 GB drive first. Afterward, you can reinstall Lion.

OP
K
Reaction score
No I don't :( I'm actually thinking about finding the Snow Leopard disk that came with my Mac awhile ago and trying to fix it with that, then I can either reinstall lion and reinstall snow leopard then lion?

OP
K
Reaction score
Ah ha I think that did the trick, I put in the snow leopard disk and now I was able to erase the entire HD and replace it with a full 750GB Macintosh HD ;) now its time to get all my stuff back, but I have to install snow leopard again since I lost my lion recovery Hd :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.