Quick question about doing time machine back up from old OSX

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I bought a new macbook pro a few days ago after I spilt water on my other one :(

I've been using it a couple days, but today I managed to retrieve my old hard drive from the water damaged mac and put it in an external enclosure, and was wondering how I can transfer everything onto my new one.

My old mac was snow leopard. My new one is Lion. Is this going to make things difficult?
Will I be able to transfer all my old desktop apps and stuff onto my new desktop on the new computer?

I've already been using the new computer for a few days. I remember after I bought it and started it up for the first time it gave me the option of "importing from time machine backup" or something. I guess that would've been the best time to do all this. Is it too late now? :[

thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Some applications from Snow Leopard may not work in Lion - trial and error. Pop the old drive in the external case, connect via USB, go to Utilities and select Migration Assistant and transfer over what you wish, or all.

Any older PowerPC applications will give you a little window saying not available. The external will be great for them if you can boot from it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.